Premed 101 Forums

What do they look at?

my1021

Hey yall,

I'm a Canadian who went to Queen's for undergrad and came down to Tennessee for medical school since my parents live here. I am finishing up my 3rd year medical school and would like to go back to Canada for a residency in IM.

In the US, USMLE step 1 basically dictates yours chances of matching into a decent residency. But what do they look at in Canada? I understand that the MCCEE won't be taken until after the matching process is finished, is that correct? And if I have taken the USMLE I won't even need to take the MCCEE.

My USMLE step 1 can get me comfortably into an IM program, but I just don't know what determines the competitiveness of an applicant up in Canada.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39960

that thread will be very helpful for you. she was a selection committee member for IM at U of T. unfortunately i don't think she is active in the forum anymore.

i didn't match to IM but my feeling is that your score will play to your favour in carms since PDs have much fewer objective measures. they look at everything they can do separate applicants.

Archived