Premed 101 Forums

Chances OOP for next year

I was just accepted so I am by no means an expert, but they need bolstering. Your MCAT is solid, but you should try to find a way to get some meaningful clinical volunteering in. Judging from those of us who were accepted this year, EC's played a big role. Having said that, your 3yr GPA/MCAT would be solid at dal.

I was just accepted so I am by no means an expert, but they need bolstering. Your MCAT is solid, but you should try to find a way to get some meaningful clinical volunteering in. Judging from those of us who were accepted this year, EC's played a big role. Having said that, your 3yr GPA/MCAT would be solid at dal.

Clinical volunteering is not a requirement. Lots of people get in without it.

It just looks like they appreciate it because 90% of classic premeds do it and since classic Pre-meds are 80% of the class...

As long as you have good EC's that you can use to show you have the Canmeds criteria you'll be fine. It's all about marketing yourself.

That being said, if you want to do clinical volunteering it's not like it's gonna hurt.

Clinical volunteering is not a requirement. Lots of people get in without it.

It just looks like they appreciate it because 90% of classic premeds do it and since classic Pre-meds are 80% of the class...

As long as you have good EC's that you can use to show you have the Canmeds criteria you'll be fine. It's all about marketing yourself.

That being said, if you want to do clinical volunteering it's not like it's gonna hurt.

Good point. Never looked at it that way.

Honestly,

There are A LOT of applicant OOP for very few seats.

Think wisely.

Also, if you do get an interview it is going to cost you A LOT to fly to SJ.

I think the school is great, and I am sure you are a good applicant, but it might be a waste of your time.

Having said that, if you want to try, I wish you the best of luck! :)

That would be a very expensive interview to attend.

I'll still consider it when July comes around, if I apply I'm just paying the application fee and with the way med admissions are going, an extra chance at an entry anywhere is worth trying for.

Is MUN a CGPA school or do they look at your last two years or something of that sort?

I think when it comes to Med School you need to apply anywhere and everywhere you can, regardless if people tell you that you 'may' not meet the specific criteria. I think MUN scoring depends a lot on the interview, so if you do get an interview and do well you're on your way to being accepted! I would work on your ECs and apply for sure, your MCAT is great. Just my input..

I think MUN takes all academic years into account. Reagardless of course load.

Seats; 5 and average of 400 applicants (http://www.med.mun.ca/Admissions/Application-Overview/ApplicationEvaluationCompetitions.aspx)

Not 100% sure, but they do have their own GPA conversion chart.

http://www.med.mun.ca/getdoc/2d9c7f9d-b762-4a30-a87d-aa97edd188f3/gradechart.aspx

There are other qualities that could grant you an interview as well. If you are really good at making yourself 'shine' amongst outstanding applicants.

Then go for it.

I think the application fee is 150

And you send it to CaRMS in Ontario.

Total application fee for MUN is definitely above $200 - there is a fee for the school and a fee for CaRMS. Probably one of the priciest applications around.

"

Applicants are required to pay an application processing fee of $75 to Memorial University of Newfoundland, as well as an application service fee of $150 (plus applicable taxes) to CaRMS at the time of application. Please note that all fees are non-refundable. All fees are paid online by credit card."

http://www.med.mun.ca/Admissions/Application-Overview/Application-Preparation.aspx

Archived