Premed 101 Forums

2nd year transfers???????

Guest shank it

Guest shank it

Does anyone know which canadian schools allow 2nd year transfers? I know that western allows 1st year d students to transfer into their 2nd year class if a spot is available, any other schools follow this policy?

I'm exiled to the the states for dental school, and would LOVE to get into a canadian school any way I can.

Guest Guyver03

UBC's dental school doesn't have any arrangement for advanced standing applicants from either Canadian or US dental schools. I think McGill also doesn't accept people who transfer from other schools.

Guest Dentist

Yes. I don't think any Canadian schools accept transfer students since each school has different curriculums (eg. UBC's case based learning - PBL wannabe).

Each school is unique, I guess..

Guest shank it

toothy jr,

do you know why those people transferred? ie what was their reason that they gave? If I tell them that I want to transfer because I plan to practice in canada, and also monetary reasons, would that be frowned upon?

Guest toothy jr

I wouldn't sweat it too much... both sides benefit: you save on tuition, and they maximize on their resources (doesn't cost any more to have one more student at a lecture, and no need for more clinic instructors if could accommodate an extra student). I know none of the students, but in all cases of transfers they are from the US.

I know that U of T and Western both let a few students into 2nd year. I think that financial and geographic reasons along with reputation and quality of education would be GOOD reasons to transfer- they would probably not be impressed by people who said they hated their old school or were unhappy, because that could be indicative of a generally negative person.

I'd say trying to transfer is a great way to get into your top choice of school. I plan to apply to transfer after one year in the US- I just don't know about credit transfer, so if anyone knows, please fill us in!

Guest kellyl20

Transfer is only possible if someone drops out ie decided or have to repeat their first year so thus a space in the coming 2nd year, no? Surely the schools are not adding more students or else they would have increase the # of seats to begin with.

Archived