Premed 101 Forums

McGill pass/fail system

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Guest pearlywhitesBC

When I was in Montreal a couple of weeks ago (looking for an apartment, yippee!) I met a lady who had graduated from the med program at McGill. I told her that I was starting the dent program this fall and asked her a couple of questions about what she thought about the program. One thing that came up was the fact that it runs on a pass/fail system - she said that it was nice because you don't have to worry about being "the best" and it cuts down on competition quite a bit.

Does anyone know how this works? Are you advanced to the next year based on a pass/fail system but still get percentage marks for your units? I'm just wondering how this will work out if I apply to get into a specialty program (I don't think you can send in a transcript with a bunch of P's!)

Guest LestatZinnie

yes, your transcripts consists only of P's and F's. No number/letter grades are shown. But this is only for the Basis of Medicine part (first year and half). When you actually start dentistry marks will be shown on the transcript I believe.

So why are people still competitive for the first year and half? Cuz if you do make it to the dean's list (top 3 in the class), your transcript will show that.

Also marks are used for scholarship purposes.

Guest Saint Seiya

top 3 %, so that will be 4-5 people for a class size of 150 people. Do you think it's worth the effort? I think there are also scholarships based on financial need, so you don't have to be top 3% but with reasonable grades.

Guest LestatZinnie

to be on dean's list you have to be top 10% of class, which in the class of 30 at mcgill = top 3 students.

you can look in the calender for list of dentistry scholarships. the majority of them are all given to people who have to top marks (either overall or in particular units). So, basically it's like a "winner take all" situation. When I went to the award ceremony last year, the same 4, 5 people took all the awards.

The philosophy "There is no medal for second best" really applies here (well...it's fourth best in this case)

Is it worthwhile? For me it's not, because you can study hard as heck and be 1% lower than the 3rd person, and you end up with nothing. On the transcript you're as good as the person who barely passed. Your mileage may vary.

Archived