Premed 101 Forums

What do Physiotherapy schools look for in an applicant? (Canada)?

Hey! So I've been thinking of going into Physiotherapy for quite some time now and now that I'm in my last year of high school, I'm choosing which Universities I should go to.

I live in Toronto and the two that I'm having trouble deciding would be either York University or University of Toronto (St.George).

I'm studying Kinesiology in both schools but the thing is, that York offers an Athletic Therapy Certificate program in which I can finish my undergraduate degree with an Atheltic Therpay Certificate. But UofT has many Professional Placements opportunities.

So I was wondering which school should I attend that would increase my chance into getting in PT schools in Canada?

The PT schools I was thinking of were UofT, McMasters, or Queens and they all require very high GPA's in order to get in (UofT being the highest).

Thanks.

U of T has Kinesiology? :confused:

it really doesn't matter what program or university you attend for your undergrad. Choose something that you are interested in and enjoy so that you could have a high GPA at the end. York's Kinesiology is a great program. I definitely recommend it.

I'm not sure how the athletic therapy certificate will really help your chances unless you actually get some placements in there or real-life experience. They look for students who take an undergraduate degree with high marks. Doesn't matter what program, or school. They may take into considering the marks for their pre-requisite courses, but I even highly doubt this if they are not in the final 10. Kinesiology will help you in physio school because it already starts with some movement basics, but really if you want to be fully prepared take as much anatomy as you can. They do not prefer any school over the other. This is Canada, not the States. Our schools are seen by others on a very similar level as long as they hold accredited programs and are recognized officially. Choose the school you want to go to because it has what you want (big classes, little class size, close to your home, clubs, etc.). They will look at where you volunteer more than where you study.

Maximize your chances by going to York - I keep hearing York has a easy kin program according to my friends.

PS. Also look at extracurricular activities available. Like opportunites for kin undergrads to train varsity teams etc. I know Waterloo does this, not sure about York/UofT

Archived