Premed 101 Forums

Could you explain DAT score scheme?

Guest limzhu

Guest limzhu

Hi there:

I am confused about DAT score scheme for every section, e.g. reading has 50 questions ,but some school need 18, so how many right answers for 18? and what about others sections ?Thank you!

Guest toothy jr

fluctuates with every DAT, depending on the score distribution of the applicants. So aim to get every question correct.

Guest apical meristems

Excellent question.

I had problems with this a while ago. This is what I have determined:

The only section curved on the exam is the carving. Your final product will be compared to all those writing the exam in one sitting. Then they will assign you a grade out of 30 - best carving=30, worst carving=1.

However, the remaining sections are scored based on your own performance. They will report your standing in terms of a percentile (example, scoring in the 85th percentile on reading), but your score is still determined by the number you get right.

One year students could really bomb a section (highest score could be 20), but then getting that 20 would put you in the 100th percentile.

I hope this helps,

apical

Guest epzi

I think apical is right, but with the carving a 30 is not always granted. In the november 2003 dat the highest score (english and french) was 29.

Guest TheDDSDude

The Kaplan DAT book has a pretty good scale score example.

Although the score is scaled, if you get around 90% in a section most likely you will get a 20-21 or higher unless a lot of people get it.

I think there is a scale of number of people who got the same mark (this varies every year) vs. how many you got right.

Because how else can you explain the DAT scores, where there are tons of ppl who got 21 in one section, more on 20, then less in 19, more on 18, less on 17 etc.

Guest Saint Seiya

I think your score will be probably lowered if you incorrectly answer a question that a majority of people get it correctly. The more this happens, the lower your score. And vice versa.

So basically if two students get correct answers for the same number of questions, but one student gets correctly for most of the difficult questions, then his score will be higher after standardization.

Guest toothy jr

if two people get the same number of questions right, the one who got the more difficult questions correct therefore got some easy questions wrong.

Guest Saint Seiya
if two people get the same number of questions right, the one who got the more difficult questions correct therefore got some easy questions wrong.

Might be, but also might not be.

Guest TheDDSDude

When it comes down to it, honestly, throw out the marking scheme out of the window, make sure you can get as many right as you can. If you can get 90% correctly there is NO WAY IN HELL you will get a bad score.

Archived