Premed 101 Forums

Alternate careers (within the dentistry field)

Guest NOURA19

Guest NOURA19

well I could have posted this in another thread ('suggestiong for back-up careers') but I think it would be better to be placed on its own and see what people think...

My best friend's bro was accepted into the 'Denturism Program' last year and is absolutely loving it!. What makes a DdS a good choice is the autonomy of the job it offers, tons of pre-clinical and clinical experience during the 3 yrs of study and (relatively) high income. I had no idea that a denturist can run and maintain their own dental clinic and have their own patients (I always thought they had to work along side the dentist). So I decided to apply this year, just incase I didnt get in to any of the dental schools. I'm greatful that I was accepted to both programs, but in the end I chose dentistry.

So, if anyone out there has given up on dental studies...give denturism a try! :rollin

Guest LestatZinnie

one of my friends looked into it, and a person i tutored entered denture school because he didn't think he'll make it into dental school. the denturist my friend shadowed made around 40-50k/yr i think. however denturist are not very autonomous imo because they have to depend on dentists for referrals. another concern for the professions is that there are less and less people requiring complete dentures, so it's most likely demand will fall drastically in the next few decades.

you chose the right choice entering dentistry. i think it has more prospects for growth than denturism.

Guest LestatZinnie

come to think of it. dental hygienists even make a lot more than denturists. downside is you don't get to own your practice but then there is a lot more patient interaction and higher job security in the long run.

Guest toothy jr

I disagree that denturists depend on referrals. I have seen

ads in newspapers, and they have the advantage of being

much cheaper than dentists for making dentures because

they generally make it themselves thus eliminating one layer

of profit taking.

I think a denturist is like a cross between a dentist and a

lab tech. They interact with patients like a dentist but do

much more of the work that a dentist normally sends off to

the lab. Personally, after having to wax up teeth and making

denture rims and bases I am sick of it. So that is not a job

for me. Give me a high-speed handpiece or forceps anyday.

Archived