Premed 101 Forums

U of A question, eh?

Guest apical meristems

Guest apical meristems

Do you think the U of A gives preference to third and fourth year applicants for early admission?

From what it seems, only those notified early have been third and fourth year applicants.

Cheers,

apical

Guest babytooth

Hey Apical,

Are you just going by the two people in this forum? I think its a fluke that the two of us from this forum have been accepted

to U of A and that we are both in either 3rd or 4th year. U of A claims they don't look at 2nd year undergrads differently than people in more senior years. I wonder if there are any U of A dental students who recieved early acceptance in previous years that were in their second year. Does anyone have any info on this?

babytooth

Guest epzi

Hey, I don't think that many do get early acceptances because the admissions committee would only have the applicants first year to go by (early acceptance doesn't include the year you just finished, the condition is that you do well), so for a 2nd year applicant to get early admissions they would have to be outstanding because their 2nd year transcripts are not even taken into consideration yet.

I know of one person would got early admissions in their 2nd year to uofa and that was 2 years ago. This person had a 4.0 in their first year and an outstanding dat (avg 23).

That may be why many 2nd years find out if they got in in june rather than may.

Guest per te

Besides what was said above...

I would have absolutely no idea on stats for UofA but my guess is that there just may also be many more 3rd, 4th, etc years than 2nd years that have applied .. which may play some factor in what you have observed.

~*per te*~

Guest Berland

There are quite a few 2/3 year ugrad students in the 2007 class. I know 3 ppl in the class who received their letters in may with 2 yrs undergrad, they had averages in the 8.5-8.7 range, so thats 10% of the class. There are others too of course, these 3 are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. Although they say they don't use years completed in admissions, I was asked about it in my interview, plus one of our instructors who works on admissions was pretty evasive on that topic when we were grilling him on admission policies.

Berland

Guest apical meristems

Hi there,

I had a meeting with the admissions officer today. She told me that more 3rd and 4th year students are offered conditional admission due to the credibility of their academic record. This year roughly ten applicants were offered advanced admission, with the majority being in their third and fourth year.

For those waiting, there's still hope :) .

Good luck,

apical

Archived