Premed 101 Forums

Getting Paid, Working for the Ferrari

Guest TheDDSDude

Guest TheDDSDude

If you didn't make a six figure salary and didn't have prestige and made no money whatsoever would still be a dentist? What if you made only $20,000?

I sure as hell..WOULD.....NOT!

Guest Kicoati

In this situation may be becoming a hygienist is a better catch :o But there would be no hygenist if the bosses make less.

Guest pearlywhitesBC

Well, the fact of the matter is that we probably WON'T be making more than the hygienists for the first while. I have a friend who has been practicing for about 6 years now, owns his own practice (he's had it for over 4 years now) and always jokes about how his hygienists make more than he does. :\

If I was only making $20,000/year at ANY job I wouldn't do it. That's peanuts! Money isn't everything to me but I have to be sensible and realistic about it so it DID factor into my decision. But there was lots of other things that I could have done just for the money (become a patent lawyer for instance). I chose dentistry because it means that I get to work with people and it seems like it will give me lots of opportunity to challenge myself and build an interesting career. Oh yeah, and I get to be pretty much completely in control of where I take things...that's always nice. :D

Guest LestatZinnie

i wouldn't do it for 20k, but I would do it for 70-80k. not every dentist will make 6 figures, and certainly very few of them will be driving Ferrari's.

seriously, I don't think there are any other prefession which I find interesting, except perhaps being a designer, anime artist or scale model maker. Money is important, but so is having a life and doing something i like.

Guest Jazz

I find that a lot of people not in the profession overestimate how much money doctors/dentists make. My dentist who's a family friend constantly complain to my parents about not making enough because of high overhead costs, while a lot of my friends believe what docs bill MSP is what they take home. The people I know who drive Ferrari's are bankers, law firm partners, entrepreneurs, not healthcare professionals.

Guest TheDDSDude

Yeah there are the less fortunate dentists out there and I guess that is fate or bad strategy. But in general, dentists, especially if you specialize make TONS of money. They do make 6 figures+ and after 20 years of practice, I'm sure you can afford a Ferrari if you really value having one. I just put that up to raise some debate. Because I find a lot of people especially those interested in medicine are so idealistic about helping people and not caring about the money. In my own opinion I think that is BS. Money does matter. Do what you are interested in but to say money isn't a factor is obviously a lie unless you are super wealthy and money isn't ever going to be an issue.

Archived