Premed 101 Forums

Would this be possible for MCAT? opinons please!

akuma39

I have to do a 5-week intercession course (which I have to do well on, the mark counts to my program), but I'm also planning on doing the MCAT sometime mid-late August. However, Im planning to self study (which is a bit of a worry as many people I've talked to didnt support that idea). But, I'm planning to get the official practice exams, Examkrackers, TPR, and Berkley's review for a combination, observing some previous successful schedules online and from a friend I talked to.

Is this doable? I'm not planning to do anything else in the summer other than those 2, maybe the odd volunteering day. I really want to do well on the MCAT from studying on my own and hopefully from the first time, so I'm very motivated, but just worried that its not enough time/proper way to approach it because Im a type of student who does well, but put in lots of time in studying...

Any opinions if this is doable, and if so, how I should go about it to ensure I have done my best to grab the most out of it? any opinons?

Thanks!!!

Assuming your intersession course is May-June, I think it is doable.

I took the princeton course from may-july, and only really started hitting the books in july and pulled off a decent score. With the MCAT, your results definitely reflect what you put into it up to a certain point (at which point burn-out and practice in the setting come into play). I would say you'd be able to pull off a good mark if you study throughout your intersession courses minimally (cover the majority of the material form each section by the time you're done your intersession course). I only had about 3 weeks of doing practice tests, about one every two days, and that was all the practice I needed. Definitely take your time going through the material the first time, then review what you were deficient in by looking through the practice tests.

I have to do a 5-week intercession course (which I have to do well on, the mark counts to my program), but I'm also planning on doing the MCAT sometime mid-late August. However, Im planning to self study (which is a bit of a worry as many people I've talked to didnt support that idea). But, I'm planning to get the official practice exams, Examkrackers, TPR, and Berkley's review for a combination, observing some previous successful schedules online and from a friend I talked to.

Is this doable? I'm not planning to do anything else in the summer other than those 2, maybe the odd volunteering day. I really want to do well on the MCAT from studying on my own and hopefully from the first time, so I'm very motivated, but just worried that its not enough time/proper way to approach it because Im a type of student who does well, but put in lots of time in studying...

Any opinions if this is doable, and if so, how I should go about it to ensure I have done my best to grab the most out of it? any opinons?

Thanks!!!

I think it should be doable. If you know that you tend to be motivated/pick things up quickly and MCAT is *all* you're doing, I really wouldn't be worried.

This really depends on how well you learned the sciences in your premedical courses. If you did well and understood the majority of the concepts, you will have an advantage in terms of how long you need to prepare.

Typically a students reviews content for a month, does practice exams the next month from other test companies, and then another month of AAMC exams. If you can do that, you are good to go.

That middle month seems unnecessary to me. I haven't really heard of people doing this :confused: ... especially not dedicating a month to it.

Archived