Premed 101 Forums

Biting the bullet, another "what are my chances?"

Hey guys,

I've been holding off on this as long as possible, but I think it's time to get some feedback.

cGPA: 3.82

MCAT: 38 (14BS, 10VR, 14PS)

ECs: 5 years as a medical first responder for St. John ambulance, Volunteer tutor for 2 years with a charity organization, teach anatomy to college students at the university, worked in the anatomy lab creating dissections, 6 years of bodybuilding (non-competitively), 9 years of guitar (play shows around the university and at bars), random other little events.

I also have another question. Many Canadians that don't successfully get accepted into Canada apply to the states.

"Oh dude, just apply to the states. It's so much easier to get in there."

High tier schools are out unless you're currently curing AIDs. But even for mid-high/mid-tier schools... is it actually that much easier though, considering that most US schools give preference to US citizens?

Thanks for reading, I've been curious about this for a while.

Hey guys,

I've been holding off on this as long as possible, but I think it's time to get some feedback.

cGPA: 3.82

MCAT: 38 (14BS, 10VR, 14PS)

ECs: 5 years as a medical first responder for St. John ambulance, Volunteer tutor for 2 years with a charity organization, teach anatomy to college students at the university, worked in the anatomy lab creating dissections, 6 years of bodybuilding (non-competitively), 9 years of guitar (play shows around the university and at bars), random other little events.

I also have another question. Many Canadians that don't successfully get accepted into Canada apply to the states.

"Oh dude, just apply to the states. It's so much easier to get in there."

High tier schools are out unless you're currently curing AIDs. But even for mid-high/mid-tier schools... is it actually that much easier though, considering that most US schools give preference to US citizens?

Thanks for reading, I've been curious about this for a while.

your premise(s) are wrong in several instances.

(1) first off, you have a 38 MCAT and a high GPA. I doubt you will have a problem getting into a Canadian school.

(2) ditto with an American School

(3) High tier schools will interview you. you don't need to be working on some amazing research... i'm positive you will get an interview.

(4) since you have a high MCAT, yes -- american schools will look more favourably towards you as they care much more about MCAT (and GPA).

(5) high tier schools are oftentimes citizenship-agnostic. most of these institutions are private, and many do not show an in-province or american bias. US News and MSAR are great resources for stats on this. However, be aware that some institutions require all 4 years of tuition in an escrow account at the start of your studies.

(6) further to the above: do not bother applying to an american school that "takes international applications" but never interviews them, or interviews them but never accepts any.. you're probably wasting your time and money.

FYI, my profile on MDapps is here: http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=25835. Although I didn't get an interview at most schools I applied to, Mount Sinai is a top-tier and I am currently waitlisted there. My scores are much much lower than you (but I will have a PhD by June).

• 3 weeks later...
thanks for the advice guys. I'm still a bit skeptical of my chances at the big schools, but I'll guess I'll throw my name in the hat and see what happens...

How could you be skeptical. I'm sure you'll get an interview. As long as you prepare will and practice your interview over and over at home, you should get in. You are even competitive for Harvard. Harvard admissions MCAT average is 37.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived