Premed 101 Forums

Q&A With Mac Med 2015

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What types of clothing are appropriate for tutorials? I expect to wear casual clothing (e.g. jeans) for the lectures and professional clothing (e.g., tailored slacks) for clinical skills, but I am not sure about the tutorials.

Thanks!

What types of clothing are appropriate for tutorials? I expect to wear casual clothing (e.g. jeans) for the lectures and professional clothing (e.g., tailored slacks) for clinical skills, but I am not sure about the tutorials.

Thanks!

Normal casual clothes are fine, you are not expected to dress up for tutorial

• 8 months later...

I figured I might revive this thread since it has a lot of useful information.

I have some questions of my own as well (bolded):

1) I gather there are two rest stations? These are in addition to the 10 stations? And they are equi-distant apart, and random according to what room number you are starting with? Are there washrooms located nearby? :P. I'm trying to get a feel for the logistics so I'm not as surprised or stressed on the actual day.

2) This might be a silly question, but is there a general preference for shaking the interviewer's hand, or not shaking it, at the END of the station? Your time is starting to count down for the next prompt as soon as the bell rings, right? Do people tend to get out of the room as quickly as possible?

3) I have inferred this, but I'm not sure if I've read this anywhere explicitly: Are your assignments according to your campus preference given according to your overall rank? i.e. Whoever has the topmost score on the master rank is guaranteed to get their campus of preference?

Relatedly, I'm assuming the waitlist would just move on a rolling basis? i.e. if someone refuses their Niagra offer, then the next person on the waiting list gets that Niagra campus offer?

4) Role-playing stations: From people's experiences, do these tend to require CANDIDATES themselves to have great acting skills? For example, I have noticed in practice that stations can very much differ in how much onus they put on the interviewee to act their part, whereas sometimes it's rather straight forward. For example, it might take a lot more acting (and seem stranger) to pretend to be a mother-son or mother-daughter pair, compared to just a coworker, or something less intimate. I feel like I have trouble getting (and staying) in character sometimes -- I just hope the importance of actual interview day will force me to step up my acting skills. Any general tips for acting skills would be great!

I'll stop there. Any help would be amazing! :)

I gather there are two rest stations? Yup 10 interview stations + 2 rest stations for a total of 2 hours.

are equi-distant apart, and random according to what room number you are starting withYes they would be stations 6 and 12 but its obviously relative too where you start

Are there washrooms located nearby?yes but i would advise to go before

is there a general preference for shaking the interviewer's hand, or not shaking it, at the END of the station?Up to the interviewer tbh. read the situation...

Are your assignments according to your campus preference given according to your overall rank? Nope Mac will loook at the top 203 candidates and then look at their campus rankings. choosing an "undesirable" campus will not get you in before others

4. Can't answer this.

I figured I might revive this thread since it has a lot of useful information.

I have some questions of my own as well (bolded):

1) I gather there are two rest stations? These are in addition to the 10 stations? And they are equi-distant apart, and random according to what room number you are starting with? Are there washrooms located nearby? :P. I'm trying to get a feel for the logistics so I'm not as surprised or stressed on the actual day.

2) This might be a silly question, but is there a general preference for shaking the interviewer's hand, or not shaking it, at the END of the station? Your time is starting to count down for the next prompt as soon as the bell rings, right? Do people tend to get out of the room as quickly as possible?

3) I have inferred this, but I'm not sure if I've read this anywhere explicitly: v i.e. Whoever has the topmost score on the master rank is guaranteed to get their campus of preference?

Relatedly, I'm assuming the waitlist would just move on a rolling basis? i.e. if someone refuses their Niagra offer, then the next person on the waiting list gets that Niagra campus offer?

4) Role-playing stations: From people's experiences, do these tend to require CANDIDATES themselves to have great acting skills? For example, I have noticed in practice that stations can very much differ in how much onus they put on the interviewee to act their part, whereas sometimes it's rather straight forward. For example, it might take a lot more acting (and seem stranger) to pretend to be a mother-son or mother-daughter pair, compared to just a coworker, or something less intimate. I feel like I have trouble getting (and staying) in character sometimes -- I just hope the importance of actual interview day will force me to step up my acting skills. Any general tips for acting skills would be great!

I'll stop there. Any help would be amazing! :)

is there a general preference for shaking the interviewer's hand, or not shaking it, at the END of the station?Up to the interviewer tbh. read the situation...

Thanks for your response!

What do you mean by "read the situation"?

EDIT: Nevermind; I assume you mean play it by ear, based on how the interviewer acts.

I understand that there is an evaluator and an interviewer at each station. Are we supposed to engage both while answering? Or should we ignore the evaluator and only engage the interviewer?

I'm fairly certain this isn't the case. In the non-acting stations, the person who is 'interviewing' you is also your evaluator. The only time there is a separate evaluator person is in the acting situations, where they evaluate your interaction. And from what I've heard, in acting situations, you're best to walk in to the room and jump right in to the scenario.

Could be wrong but this is my understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sarvish!

Is it:

- Bell to start reading

- Bell to enter

- Bell to indicate your answer time (8 minutes) is over, and you should move on to the next room...

And THEN another bell to start reading the next, once everyone is in position? Or are you expected to rush out of the room to get to next prompt ASAP?

The former makes a lot more sense to me, but I figured I'd check.

Also, I've been told that it is acceptable to finish your sentence if the bell rings mid-sentence. Is this true?

Thanks Sarvish!

Is it:

- Bell to start reading

- Bell to enter

- Bell to indicate your answer time (8 minutes) is over, and you should move on to the next room...

And THEN another bell to start reading the next, once everyone is in position? Or are you expected to rush out of the room to get to next prompt ASAP?

The former makes a lot more sense to me, but I figured I'd check.

Also, I've been told that it is acceptable to finish your sentence if the bell rings mid-sentence. Is this true?

There is no bell to start reading, as soon as the 8 minutes are up you get up and go to door of the next station and start reading the prompt. Don't worry, 2 minutes is more than enough time to read the prompt and briefly consider your answer, you do not need to rush out of the room after the 8 minute bell (although obviously don't take too much time leaving the room). Absolutely finish your sentence before leaving, you want to make a good final impression in your interview, so take a few seconds to finish what you were saying, thank the assessor, and then leave the room.

Not sure if anyone's still checking this thread, but I figured I may as well post.

I know that some schools offer other combined programs, such as an MD/MSc or MD/MBA, in addition to the MD/PhD option (and some schools will even allow you to finish a Masters program concurrently, if you do some courses during the clinical years). Does McMaster offer anything similar, or allow you to direct your learning in this manner?

Two quick questions for current students:

Are students working in the same PBL group from the beginning of first year for duration of pre clerkship, or are new PBL groups assembled for each module/block/case etc?

Also, does Mac have a simulation center for practicing running a code or other frequently encountered procedures?

Thanks!

Not sure if anyone's still checking this thread, but I figured I may as well post.

I know that some schools offer other combined programs, such as an MD/MSc or MD/MBA, in addition to the MD/PhD option (and some schools will even allow you to finish a Masters program concurrently, if you do some courses during the clinical years). Does McMaster offer anything similar, or allow you to direct your learning in this manner?

I don't know the details, but I know that in our program you can take an extra year to do a Master's degree if you'd like to, making it a four-year program. I think people have done degrees in public health, e-health, etc.

Two quick questions for current students:

Are students working in the same PBL group from the beginning of first year for duration of pre clerkship, or are new PBL groups assembled for each module/block/case etc?

Also, does Mac have a simulation center for practicing running a code or other frequently encountered procedures?

Thanks!

For PBL, your small group changes for each MF, meaning you're with a group for anywhere from 9-13 weeks at a time. It's nice, because you get to know more people that way, and if you have a group that's not functioning super well, you get to mix it up. On the other hand, I've had a couple amazing groups that I was sad to move on from. For Pro Comp, we're in the same group of 10 for all of pre-clerkship, but that's only once a week.

We have a Center for Simulation-Based Learning (CSBL) that students can book rooms in to practice (they're basically clinic rooms). I don't know about running codes, etc, but we can go in and practice any of the exams, and our preceptors can book standardized patients for us for clinical skills sessions (this is specific to Hamilton, I'm not sure about the regional campuses). In pre-clerkship, we're more concerned with learning the basic exams than learning to run a code, etc - I'm sure that's something that will come up in clerkship, but anyone else at Mac can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that. :)

I don't know the details, but I know that in our program you can take an extra year to do a Master's degree if you'd like to, making it a four-year program. I think people have done degrees in public health, e-health, etc.

Cool, thanks for the response. I couldn't find any info on this on the website, would you happen to have the contact information of someone in admin who could provide me with some more information regarding this option?

Cool, thanks for the response. I couldn't find any info on this on the website, would you happen to have the contact information of someone in admin who could provide me with some more information regarding this option?

You could email admissions mdadmit@mcmaster.ca and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

If you are interested in a masters I would counsel you to wait until residency. It makes more financial sense to do it then ie you get paid vs paying them.

Archived