Premed 101 Forums

Scoring formula

Wish I could give a clear answer on that. However, NOSM doesn't provide much specifics other than stating it's based on your places of residence for at least one year or more. I've also noticed several areas on their website (e.g. the FAQ section) that it states context is also based on where you currently reside. I'm not certain if that is old info though.

One thing I am quite convinced of is that most context points are awarded to those who have lived in Northern Ontario, especially during their High School or working years. Rural points count too, although I personally believe they count for less than living in Northern Ontario. Of course, the best combination is living in a rural community in Northern Ontario, which is what describes your situation :) On a side note, you can use the following index to get an idea of how "rural" your community is - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/uap/docs/RIO2008BasicScoresCSD.xls

Keep in mind this is not what NOSM uses, although it may reflect what NOSM considers rural.

The other component I'm uncertain about regarding context is designation as Francophone or Aboriginal. Because of their social accountability mandate, NOSM strives to have a class that is representative of the population up North. As such, I think they give some additional points to these groups, although I don't know if it is incorporated into the context score or in some other way throughout the application.

Also, in terms of the auto-sketch and questionnaire, you should consider the following excerpt from NOSMs website.

The Northern Ontario School of Medicine is seeking applicants who have a genuine interest in helping them to fulfill their mandate and to uphold their values. Criteria that will be examined include, but are not limited to:

• growing up in a community in Northern Ontario;

• demonstrated interest in living and working in Northern Ontario;

• demonstrated interest in working with underserviced populations (no matter where they are);

• ability to identify community needs and willingness to play a part in filling these needs;

• cross-cultural experiences;

• volunteer work;

• extra-curricular activities.

Well firstly I would like to note that they mean Francophone in a Northern Ontario sense as we definitely have a language all of our own. I get laughed at here in Quebec when I talk french haha.

And thanks for the input I am definitely rural northern Ontario, and also would like to practice in northern Ontario hence why I would like to go to NOSM. Just thought that my UG studies were best at McGill as opposed to a northern University, especially in the Sciences.

Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll see you guys at the Interview weekend come 2014.

Well firstly I would like to note that they mean Francophone in a Northern Ontario sense as we definitely have a language all of our own. I get laughed at here in Quebec when I talk french haha.

And thanks for the input I am definitely rural northern Ontario, and also would like to practice in northern Ontario hence why I would like to go to NOSM. Just thought that my UG studies were best at McGill as opposed to a northern University, especially in the Sciences.

Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll see you guys at the Interview weekend come 2014.

You're most welcome. Sounds like you stand an excellent chance at getting an interview, so hopefully I'll see you next year either as a fellow interviewee or as one of NOSM's first year students :D Oh, and I completely understand what you mean about the difference in French up here, I think I even heard a guy the other day rolling his Rs rather than using the guttural R. It was really interesting to hear.

It's funny how much it changes from place to place. French changes significantly from Sudbury to Timmins to the KL region and especially when you head west to the Kap/Hearst region.

Like I said I got laughed at by a cabbie when I spoke french! he actually asked if I was from the hills of Gatineau which still to this day makes me laugh.

And not to be cocky but I imagine that I should get an interview, with context and GPA pretty much wrapped up, just have to focus on the ABS.

Getting in is a whole other animal though.

I hope I see you as a student next year, good luck on getting in.

I don't think that NOSM will deduct points from your application because you went to a school outside of Northern Ontario but just as an fyi they actually state somewhere randomly on their website that they will look more highly on students who complete undergraduate studies in northern Ontario as this shows commitment to the north. Just thought it was something interesting to note.

That's why I brought up the question.

To be honest I can't see them holding it against me for seeking out the best possible education in Canada.(Not trying to pump myself up but that's honestly why I went to McGill)

But besides that as I said I was born and raised in rural Northern Ontario so I see my context score as being relatively high.

pre-interview = 1/3 GPA, 1/3 context, 1/3 autosketch and application questionnaire.

post interview = 1/2 interview + 1/2 pre-interview score

So, here's a hypothetical situation for you:

Applicant finishes MSc by Course Work degree in August, but convocation is not until October 20, 2012. Applicant applies to NOSM for 2013 admission and sends graduate transcript (with the date of impending convocation noted on it) to NOSM by October 1st, 2012 (degree was conferred 19 days later). Applicant reads that if you have your graduate program completed by December 20th, 2012, you are eligible for an addition of 0.2 to your NOSM GPA.. so said applicant is in the clear:cool: BUT, this foolish, foolish applicant COMPLETELY OVERLOOKS the fact that applicants must submit an additional graduate transcript after convocation, but before December 20th, in order to be eligible for this 0.2 GPA addition (and just notices this oversight YESTERDAY). How severely do you think this mistake will affect the applicant's admission score, and thus chances? (I mean, GPA is still 1/6 of post-interview score, right?)

*Of note: this is not a hypothetical situation:( I am the foolish applicant who made this ridiculous, but crushing mistake (If you are wondering how on earth I managed to do something so stupid, I honestly don't have an answer for you.. and trust me, I loathe myself right now and I am thinking whatever you are thinking about this easily avoidable situation and worse).

I've already called NOSM (I figured there's nothing that can be done about it now, but I thought I would check anyways), and they left me a message basically saying that GPA was accounted for pre-interview and now that I've had my interview, I shouldn't worry about it now (they would be looking at UG GPA). Not that my UG GPA is bad, but who wouldn't be kicking themselves if they had completely hindered their chance at receiving the additional 0.2?!

On a positive note, I do realize this is just one factor of several that they consider and that my chances aren't completely dismal. This is not my first time applying, and I do feel like I performed significantly better on my interview this year, but who really knows…

Anyhow (sorry for the ramble), thoughts??

I imagine that it will effect your score but with GPA being worth 1/2 of what it was pre interview. Obviously you got an interview, so you were considered competitive before, when GPA was worth double it is now.

I don't think it will effect you a great deal, although i imagine if you don't get in you'll be kicking yourself.

Good Luck!

I imagine that it will effect your score but with GPA being worth 1/2 of what it was pre interview. Obviously you got an interview, so you were considered competitive before, when GPA was worth double it is now.

I don't think it will effect you a great deal, although i imagine if you don't get in you'll be kicking yourself.

Good Luck!

Yea, my thoughts exactly! Oh well.. it is what it is. Thank you!!

So, here's a hypothetical situation for you:

Applicant finishes MSc by Course Work degree in August, but convocation is not until October 20, 2012. Applicant applies to NOSM for 2013 admission and sends graduate transcript (with the date of impending convocation noted on it) to NOSM by October 1st, 2012 (degree was conferred 19 days later). Applicant reads that if you have your graduate program completed by December 20th, 2012, you are eligible for an addition of 0.2 to your NOSM GPA.. so said applicant is in the clear:cool: BUT, this foolish, foolish applicant COMPLETELY OVERLOOKS the fact that applicants must submit an additional graduate transcript after convocation, but before December 20th, in order to be eligible for this 0.2 GPA addition (and just notices this oversight YESTERDAY). How severely do you think this mistake will affect the applicant's admission score, and thus chances? (I mean, GPA is still 1/6 of post-interview score, right?)

*Of note: this is not a hypothetical situation:( I am the foolish applicant who made this ridiculous, but crushing mistake (If you are wondering how on earth I managed to do something so stupid, I honestly don't have an answer for you.. and trust me, I loathe myself right now and I am thinking whatever you are thinking about this easily avoidable situation and worse).

I've already called NOSM (I figured there's nothing that can be done about it now, but I thought I would check anyways), and they left me a message basically saying that GPA was accounted for pre-interview and now that I've had my interview, I shouldn't worry about it now (they would be looking at UG GPA). Not that my UG GPA is bad, but who wouldn't be kicking themselves if they had completely hindered their chance at receiving the additional 0.2?!

On a positive note, I do realize this is just one factor of several that they consider and that my chances aren't completely dismal. This is not my first time applying, and I do feel like I performed significantly better on my interview this year, but who really knows…

Anyhow (sorry for the ramble), thoughts??

That really sucks Tintin :( I know they got the scores locked and loaded, but a 0.2 difference on your GPA could make a MASSIVE difference in the end! Even though GPA is only 1/6 at this point, that is an extra 2/10 for the GPA, which really could make the difference considering everyone who makes it into the top 150 likely have very close scores. I can imagine this is especially true for comparing between the applicant who is first on the waitlist and say like the 20th. Also, you have to remember that NOSM has the worst ratio for interviewees : seats and has the least wait-list movement out of the Ontario schools, so every tiny bit counts. Heck, I was considering hassling NOSM about my parents moving, which I'm sure would have negligible effects.

I'm sure you don't want to hassle the adcoms, but I really think it may be worthwhile to try and make at least one last push to have them consider the 0.2 addition, especially considering you did graduate on time. Try and actually get someone on the phone. I talked with Julie last year and she was extremely helpful for my situation. From personal experience, that 0.2 addition meant the difference between me not getting an interview and getting an interview last year.

That's my two cents at least. Anyone else got any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you everyone for your input.

It really sucks, but Beef is right.. no point now. lwu018 - thank you for your suggestion. I actually did call and e-mail NOSM admissions and the responses I received were exactly what I had expected: it is far too late in the admissions process to be able to correct the mistake and change my GPA calculation, as it was calculated pre-interview. No one can budge on this and I can't say I blame them; it was my mistake and I will just have to live with the consequences and see how everything plays out. Before I heard back from anyone, I went ahead and ordered the additional transcript anyways. It won't make a difference, but I've done everything I can to try and correct the mistake (albeit, the attempts were futile) so at least I know there is nothing else I can do and it's out of my hands. If I do need to apply again in the future, I will certainly NOT repeat this fiasco.. sheesh :(

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions (I'm willing to try about anything), but I'm pretty sure the adcom's hands are tied.

I know you must feel pretty crappy right now but I encourage you to be confident in the package you have presented this year and just feel reassured that you have something in your back pocket if needed for next year. Best to concentrate on the positive now as negativity will more easily rear its head if we dont do just that.

If you want medicine bad enough you will get in, it's just a matter of time ... and unless you are 97 years old, you have time.

Beef

Thank you everyone for your input.

It really sucks, but Beef is right.. no point now. lwu018 - thank you for your suggestion. I actually did call and e-mail NOSM admissions and the responses I received were exactly what I had expected: it is far too late in the admissions process to be able to correct the mistake and change my GPA calculation, as it was calculated pre-interview. No one can budge on this and I can't say I blame them; it was my mistake and I will just have to live with the consequences and see how everything plays out. Before I heard back from anyone, I went ahead and ordered the additional transcript anyways. It won't make a difference, but I've done everything I can to try and correct the mistake (albeit, the attempts were futile) so at least I know there is nothing else I can do and it's out of my hands. If I do need to apply again in the future, I will certainly NOT repeat this fiasco.. sheesh :(

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions (I'm willing to try about anything), but I'm pretty sure the adcom's hands are tied.

I know you must feel pretty crappy right now but I encourage you to be confident in the package you have presented this year and just feel reassured that you have something in your back pocket if needed for next year. Best to concentrate on the positive now as negativity will more easily rear its head if we dont do just that.

If you want medicine bad enough you will get in, it's just a matter of time ... and unless you are 97 years old, you have time.

Beef

Right you are. I do feel pretty crushed, but I'm already starting to feel a bit better about it. The GPA certainly wasn't the only improvement I made to this year's application. And I'm far from 97 years old :P so there is always time to persevere if need be. Thank you :)

Archived