Premed 101 Forums

UBC Interview

Guest mwsung

Hi Everyone! I am having an interview with UBC on Jan 31st.

I was ranked 81st out of apprx.200 something but somebody didn't reply to an interview offer so fortunately I am in!

Counting the fact that the final admission offer is made based on GPA, DAT and interview scores, is it possible for somebody ranked at 80 (like myself) getting accepted after interview?

Guest UBC student

would you mind telling us what your stats are like? (ie GPA, DAT scores, undergrad school, ..)

The reason I ask is, if you JUST missed the cutoffs for the initial round of interview invitation, then your chances are just as good as anyones, but I guess if your stats deviate alot from the rest of the ubc interviewees, then you MIGHT not have as good a chance as the rest.

Of course, we'll never know what the cutoff was, so the only way we can guess at it is to compare our stats

(too see how similar/different our stats are)

Guest Guyver03

Are you sure you got an interview because someone didn't reply to the invitation? The last day to reply the invitation is Jan 23rd, so I think you got an invitation because someone reject his/her offer. But how do you know that you're the 81st person out of the applicant pool?

Edit:

Just to reiterate, the final admission will look at all your stats, 30% for each of ur GPA, DAT, and interview, and 10% for reference and misc.

Sorry guys.

My stats are

DAT

Bio: 20 / 20

Chem: 18 / 18

Reading: 19 /16

PAT: 22 /18

Carving: 16 /26

I took DAT twice

GPA: ~3.65

major: molecular biology and biochemistry SFU

4th year

Extracurricular:

military background (canadian forces reserve for 6 yrs)

NSERC award - one publication to journal

I know I was the 81st because that's what Jackie Lee told me

And, I think you are right. somebody probably rejected the invitation (why??)

Guest UBC student

hey mwsung, your numbers don't look bad, and your carving score is certainly admirable~ which should make up for your scores from other sections of your DAT~

I believes UBC uses the percentage system, so I don't know how they would consider sfu students like you since you guys use GPA system (like the rest of North america)

However, I can tell you that on an OMSAS system, a GPA of 3.65 would be about A-/B+ average, which would be about 80% at ubc. but if your gpa was calculated on sfu grading system, its a whole different ball game

anyways, if my assumptions are correct, you are only a few points below the ave GPA of interviewed applicants (which have been about 82% in the past)

so I guess what Im trying to say is, Have a good interview~

ps- what are you doing to prep for your interview? and did you apply anywhere else?

Thanks for your advice UBCstudent!

:)

I am not doing much for interview prep since I can't really expect what I will be asked. Actually, I had a situation-based interview for my Co-op work, and GOD, It was hard!

however, when answering questions during interview, I will try to answer based on my military experience or research project or my intention to get into DOTP program or whatever I think I am good at, so that "I" lead the talk. I don't want to be led by them, which is quite SAD.>:

I've applied to U of A, UofT, Sask and Manitoba

plus, I know it's bit late but I am also applying to Columbia and U of southern california in the states, just as backup

7 days from now till the interview.... God... help me.

Guest pearlywhitesBC

I've read somewhere that the McGill interview isn't too formal, but does anyone have any idea of how formal the UBC interview is. I have a suit jacket but I don't want to wear it because I don't have pants that match it exactly. I'm wondering if I pair of dress pants and a snappy dress shirt/sweater will be OK for the interview. Anyone have any idea?

Guest LestatZinnie

It's best to wear a full suit to be on the safe side. I heard a few years back a guy just showed up in a sweater and one of the coordinators asked, "where's your suit?"

i dont think attire will make or break your interview- but i hardly think it's the appropriate time to 'stand out' either. just mho.

Guest Guyver03

Hey, does anyone know what we should bring to the interview? I remember picture ID, so is it just showing up at the interview and that's it? Or is it like a job interview, bring some info like resume and such?

I would like to ask how's everyone preparing for their interviews? I know it's going to be situational, but with all the anxiety and time constrain, it's really hard to come up of answers fast unless you prepare ahead, but I don't even know what kinda questions they are going to ask. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks a million

Guest Kicoati

I have the exact same question as you do. I talked to career counsellors/interview tutors at my university and someone who had interview experiences of that kind, they all suggested that I take a few sample questions, try to break down the situation into different aspects and possible approaches, organize my answer, then practice saying it out loud. For me, I have problems organizing my thoughts and saying them smoothly when I am put on the spot like that. Hopefully, practicing should improve in general how I present my thoughts. I will take their advise.

Does anyone else have more suggestions?

Guest Bigheadbebe

I think you can try hiring the interview tutor to help you... here is the link from the poster I saw in IRC: interviewtutor@yahoo.com

They give mock interview and give comments etc. Afterall, I think is useful as I don't have family member who is doctoral, but if you think is not, then perhaps don't join them and simply ask your DMD/MD family member to help you. If you know some DMD student, they may be of some use too as they may know some insider questions!!! :D

Guest Bigheadbebe

Thanks for the info... it will be very useful for everyone. As you know, this year UBC hand out more out of province applicant interview... so guess it will be fair for all applicant to be aware of it. Afterall, why is some of us is so unlucky not to have a relative who is a dentist to train us on certain aspects including interview practicing?

Guest Bigheadbebe

Don't need to freak, just be brave!

Afterall interview is nothing to worry esp if you born here!

Perhaps we all can relax and play "Counterstrike".

Afterall it will be over by Feb 7. Good luck everyone.:P

Guest Pearly Whites

i didnt think i did too well on the interview. I got out in 30 minutes for an interview that probably should've lasted 45 minutes. i prefered the mcgill interview much more because it was more personal and in my opinion, more valid. for example, they asked me at ubc, tell me a time when you acted aggressively, and they specified, not assertive, aggressive. well, what if i don't believe in aggression, how am i supposed to answer that? should i make up something to get the points? anyway, i said something along the lines of, i prefer being assertive over aggressive and ended up giving an example where i was assertive so i dont know how well i did on that. anyway, hope the rest of you did better!

• 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448300</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>UBC Interview</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>UBC Interview</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Archived