Premed 101 Forums

Another 'what are my chances'

d17

Academics:

MCAT: 41R (14/14/13)

GPA: 3.6 to 3.7 (ya I didn't take undergrad seriously at all)

Double Major in Medical Science and Political Science

Volunteer:

A year of candy striping in high school

A year of school government

A year and a half of Meals on Wheels

Jobs:

5 years of tutoring, self-employed and with two agencies

8 month internship at the Canadian Embassy in Washington DC

Other ECs:

No research or other clinical experience (I'm worried about this, I hear Americans all have research experience)

Trying to shadow a doctor while I'm still here in the States

I manage my family's investment portfolio

Concert-level pianist

Taking an online course in Medical Neuroscience from Duke

I wouldn't say excellent chance at top schools, but you have a good chance at getting an acceptance somewhere. The fact that you have no clinical or research ECs is going to hold you back a ton, also your GPA is not that great either. You should definitely apply broadly.

What's counts as "clinical experience"? Is there something I can do easily in the next few months?

Anything where you are interacting with patients directly. Shadowing could also be considered clincal experience, so I would defintely do that if you could. US schools like to see comitmment to medicine moreso than Candian schools do: it will be harder to convince them you are interested in becoming a physician if you have never really experienced what it is like to interact with patients.

I've delivered meals to members of a retirement community. Talked to them a bit and made sure they were OK. They weren't 'patients' but does that count?

thats community experience just like you said. clinical experience is when you are exposed to the hospital environment directly.

I've delivered meals to members of a retirement community. Talked to them a bit and made sure they were OK. They weren't 'patients' but does that count?

How could you want med and not try it out???? If i were ad com i'd think you are smart enough to succeed but i would doubt your commitment to medicine. You need to do volunteering in hospitals, shadowing physicians, research in order to prove you actually want medicine....

Either way, if you don't get in you should consider doing some of those things. If you do get in, congrats!

How could you want med and not try it out???? If i were ad com i'd think you are smart enough to succeed but i would doubt your commitment to medicine. You need to do volunteering in hospitals, shadowing physicians, research in order to prove you actually want medicine....

Either way, if you don't get in you should consider doing some of those things. If you do get in, congrats!

I did a volunteer stint in a Toronto hospital in Gr 12. Problem is, I don't really consider restocking shelves, clerical work, and taking lunch orders 'clinical experience'. It didn't make me want to volunteer at a hospital in uni since the hours tend to be hard to fit in and require you to make a one-year commitment.

I'm trying to pull some connections to shadow a physician right now in DC. I've tried in the GTA but it doesn't seem like something Canadian physicians do very often. Admittedly, I wasn't really that persistent about it.

Archived