Premed 101 Forums

Low GPA and worried that I have ruined my Med School dreams

So I just finished my second year at UBC. I can't blame anyone except myself for the grades I have gotten for the past two years. And I am afraid that my med school dreams are now ruined. My marks are not good enough for any Canadian Medical Schools. I am planning to change my major from General Biology to Integrated Sciences so I can take courses that would reflect and cater for my future goals. However, I am not even sure if my grades are good enough for Irish, Australian or even Caribbean Medical Schools.:(

First Year Courses and Grades:

Bio 140, Chem 121, Math 104, Bio 112, Bio 121, Chem 123, Phys 101, Psyc 100, Eng 112

B+,B,D,B,C,B-,B-,B-,A-

Second Year Courses and Grades:

Bio 200,Bio 230,Chem 233, Eng 110,Micbio 201, Biol 201, Chem 205, Math 105,Microbio 202

C+,C+,C+,B+,C,C-,B,C-,F

I will be retaking Microbio 202 in the summer to pass the course!

Would it be worth taking an extra year to complete my degree (so taking 5 years instead of 4 years)?

I would be very grateful for any feedback I can get. Thank you!

Since you've only completed two years, I wouldn't stress so much. Medical schools in Canada vary, some look at your two best years, others have you drop your worst year, etc, etc. Although your second year didn't pan out, it's far too early to throw in the towl.

Change to something you would enjoy doing and therefore have higher marks in. Also, a five year program isn't a bad idea, that way you could have three stellar full time years and possibly end with a double major. Keep in mind that many Canadian applicants completed graduate studies, etc in order to make it into med school, it took extra years but it was worth it in the end.

If I were you I would forget about that year and work harder for Canadian schools. The IMG situation is growing dire with the current and future changes in residency positions in the US and Canada. I hate to see what it will be like in 6-7 years, assuming you were able able to finish an IMG program in that time.

So I just finished my second year at UBC. I can't blame anyone except myself for the grades I have gotten for the past two years. And I am afraid that my med school dreams are now ruined. My marks are not good enough for any Canadian Medical Schools. I am planning to change my major from General Biology to Integrated Sciences so I can take courses that would reflect and cater for my future goals. However, I am not even sure if my grades are good enough for Irish, Australian or even Caribbean Medical Schools.:(

Bio 140, Chem 121, Math 104, Bio 112, Bio 121, Chem 123, Phys 101, Psyc 100, Eng 112

B+,B,D,B,C,B-,B-,B-,A-

Bio 200,Bio 230,Chem 233, Eng 110,Micbio 201, Biol 201, Chem 205, Math 105,Microbio 202

C+,C+,C+,B+,C,C-,B,C-,F

Would it be worth taking an extra year to complete my degree (so taking 5 years instead of 4 years)?

i dont think your goal should be IMG.....just sayin

• 3 months later...

I can relate to your situation pretty well. Your grades match same as mine on my 1st undergrad.

I transfered to engineering lol, yes, from biochem to engineering but I've managed to pull A+ :)! I had two C+, but still my gpa is better than it was in biochem.

Don't give up hope! You can still get into medical school in Canada and U.S as well! improve your study habits, time management, and pick the subject you will enjoy it!

I was on the verge of giving up, and my first undergrad. marks were low cuz i was slacking off, wasnt putting in the hard work. But, i've gotten serious and realized what I truly want.

Don't give up :)! Your will and perseverance determines if you will fail or be successful in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

B+,B,D,B,C,B-,B-,B-,A-

C+,C+,C+,B+,C,C-,B,C-,F

Like the others said, you still have a chance at schools that look at best 2 years etcs. But you really need to either a) Figure out whats going wrong with your study habits and B) switch to a degree you're interested in and can do well in.

Also, you're course loads weren't very heavy either(8 classes first year) and 9 in second year. I would not progress to third year with your grades and figure out where you are going wrong, and fix it.

Archived