Premed 101 Forums

Applying to fewer programs?

Of course, you should still apply if that's what you truly want to do. The dilemma of backing up is not unique to your situation, as many people applying across the country will also apply to other disciplines. Unfortunately I don't have any good advice regarding that aspect - some programs from other disciplines may indeed discount your application, but it is up to you to make yourself known and convey your genuine interest in those programs while acknowledging your interest in radiology, and if you focus your efforts on being a strong candidate overall, I think that many would still be happy to have you.

I backed up with family and did several rads electives. Only a third of my family interviews even challenged me on my rads interest. I explained why I am interested in both fields and the similarities between them, but felt that I needed to more rads electives simply because of the competition. I was also fully prepared to match to family and had some solid career goals in it, so that helped to convince them too.

Archived