Premed 101 Forums

Interesting Article

Guest bad hombre

Guest toothy

1. the dentist population in Toronto is already approaching saturation, and that may be the case for a number of urban centres in the near future. I don't know if the government will give incentives for folks to work up north (of course Natives have free coverage so there is no shortage of patients)

2. who knows if company insurance will be raising or lowering dental coverage? If there's a downward trend, we will see fewer checkups and major dental work may become the realm of wealthy image-conscious people

3. what about technological progress? If the current research on replacing oral flora becomes open to the public, then the only major work left are ortho and perio.

Guest toothy

well, the bacteria in the oral cavity are responsible for converting sugars to acids which penetrate the tooth and cause caries... many years of research have gone into getting rid of those bad bugs. (no, rinsing with listerine 50 times a day won't work, because it will scar the mucosa) Anyway, one method that is approaching widespread use is bacteria replacement. You put in bacteria which don't produce acid (or something like that), and the outcome is reduced demineralization of the tooth.

For doctors a non-prescription cure for the cold wouldn't be too bad for business, since there are so many other diseases. But if there were no caries I think we'll get a serious drop in cash flow! We'll have to see its efficacy and public acceptance.

hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chuck D

The article said there will be a dental shortage everywhere and toothy you are saying that there is already market saturation? Huh what is going on?

Chuck B

Guest bad hombre

k, i shouldn't be in this part of the forum anymore, but the article refers to canada as a whole, whereas toothy's opinion refers mostly to urban centers, specifically TO.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry about oral flora replacement. I am an oral surgeon, during my dental school i did a lot of research on oral microflora. It is a nice concept but I would be very surprised if it ever works, as you may know it is very difficult to change the resident flora.

So that should not be an issue in considering dental school. I don't know about the toronto area, but once you set up practice, you will be looking to have time off.

Archived