USMD options for low cGPA / solid MCAT applicant

3.35 cGPA (after 4 years)

33S MCAT

Graduating from UBC with a Biology degree

strong extracurriculars:

- 1 publication so far, more on the way

- high level athlete (varsity level)

- volunteer experience with physically handicapped, mentally challenged

Any advice on whether or not I should bother applying this year would be great. I am hoping to be in medical school ASAP and do have some Canadian schools on my list but obviously my cGPA limits my options.

Cheers!

Apply to mid-tiers and you may have a chance. Personally, I wouldn't bother at upper levels. Although your MCAT isn't bad, it's by no means stellar (we have the same score, fyi). Use the MSAR and USNews sources to pick schools that are (1) mid-tier, (2) have both interviewed AND accepted international students in the past, and (3) submit your AMCAS early - no later than end of June [btw, you can submit and get transcripts verified without having all your reference letters in]. Make sure to emphasize any clinical volunteering or experience, this is pretty much expected in the US.

BTW, some schools require 4-yr escrow of tuition for Canadian/Intl students, so you might want to consider that.

nata chance, but good luck

:):)

..prob better chance with canada, with best 2 yrs, etc etc

you probably dont wanna hear it, but apply to DO (or IMG), unless you wanna waste another yr bumping your gpa up from a 3.35 to a 3.53

IMG is terrible advice.

Hmmm... your cGPA will definately hold you back. The harsh reality is that is too low for Canadian schools. Posting each year's GPA will help people on here give you advice. Also see if you qualify for U of T's weighting and calculate your GPA that way.

From my understanding, IMG isn't a good option - really do your research before forking out the money. Same goes for US schools, unless of course you want to work in the states. A lot of people suggest a second undergrad if you are that committed - it will take some more time, but in the grand scheme of things and second UG with a higher GPA and getting into a Canadian school will always be better than cutting corners and studying internationally (probability wise).

3.35 cGPA (after 4 years)

33S MCAT

Graduating from UBC with a Biology degree

strong extracurriculars:

- 1 publication so far, more on the way

- high level athlete (varsity level)

- volunteer experience with physically handicapped, mentally challenged

Any advice on whether or not I should bother applying this year would be great. I am hoping to be in medical school ASAP and do have some Canadian schools on my list but obviously my cGPA limits my options.

Cheers!

I have similar stats as urs: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78102

I think you should apply broadly and early to the lower tier US Med schools. I see that you are a varsity level athelete and already have a publication, you may have a shot. Is there a particular reason for ur lower gpa?

However, it is obvious that if you take extra classes this year to boost ur gpa + have more publications, then you will definitely have a better shot in the next application cycle.

Apply to mid-tiers and you may have a chance. Personally, I wouldn't bother at upper levels.

Most likely 0 chance at upper-tiers (top 20) and very little chance at mid-tiers (rank 20-50). Low tiers are possible, that's all I can say, but there's nothing to lose for you to apply. Your low GPA will be automatically screened out by what most Canadian applicants consider safety application schools like Wayne State. Rosalind Franklin is possible, but you must apply early for that school, ie. submit secondary application before Sept. Also consider Michigan State.

Is there a trend in your GPA? If it increases over the 4-year period, it will slightly help your application.

Consider DO and post-bacc in the US to boost your undergrad GPA (if you're sure that you can do better in upper-level science courses).

Most likely 0 chance at upper-tiers (top 20) and very little chance at mid-tiers (rank 20-50). Low tiers are possible, that's all I can say, but there's nothing to lose for you to apply. Your low GPA will be automatically screened out by what most Canadian applicants consider safety application schools like Wayne State. Rosalind Franklin is possible, but you must apply early for that school, ie. submit secondary application before Sept. Also consider Michigan State.

Is there a trend in your GPA? If it increases over the 4-year period, it will slightly help your application.

Consider DO and post-bacc in the US to boost your undergrad GPA (if you're sure that you can do better in upper-level science courses).

Hey nychila. Just curious about why you think applying early to RF might help the OP's chances. MSAR puts their average accepted GPA at ~3.8 and MCAT at ~ 32.

Hey nychila. Just curious about why you think applying early to RF might help the OP's chances. MSAR puts their average accepted GPA at ~3.8 and MCAT at ~ 32.

According to their website, the average matriculating student had 3.5 GPA & 30 MCAT. RFU processes their applications so slowly that if you submit your secondary essays in Sept or later, they will only have fully reviewed your file by March, when there are practically no seat left.

• 1 year later...

My GPA is similar ~3.4, does anyone know if most schools do a preliminary screen to eliminate low GPA's?

Archived