Premed 101 Forums

Class 2016 First Year schedule?

Since there won't be much time for research in such a compressed program, are students at a disadvantage for specialties like the ROADs and neurology which seems to place a large emphasis on research

Disadvantage? Maybe more like a challenge. You will have some designated time during your MED 440 course (Evidence Based Medicine) to take on a research project if you so choose...but any research you do end up doing will likely take more than the time allotted. You can also choose to spend all or some of your summer elective time doing research in your first summer (not a bad option).

I wouldn't worry about it though. Our class matched very well this year to some highly competitive programs, including neurology, radiology, ENT, plastics, dermatology etc. You'll be okay :)

Disadvantage? Maybe more like a challenge. You will have some designated time during your MED 440 course (Evidence Based Medicine) to take on a research project if you so choose...but any research you do end up doing will likely take more than the time allotted. You can also choose to spend all or some of your summer elective time doing research in your first summer (not a bad option).

I wouldn't worry about it though. Our class matched very well this year to some highly competitive programs, including neurology, radiology, ENT, plastics, dermatology etc. You'll be okay :)

Thanks :). Are people able to do the summer elective at a different location if they want to so research or do they generally have to complete them in Calgary?

First week is mostly orientation stuff - lots of fun and really well organized - you'll get everything set-up from lab coats to lockers.

'IST' - ha, not really such a thing. Most IST, particularly in the beginning is filled up with lots of other stuff, including clinical core (i.e., you'll be in the hospital in your groups of 5 pretty much within the first 2-3 weeks of school). As you'll figure out soon enough, you have your main courses to deal with (1-7) but then tones of other 'unit' courses or secondary courses (i.e., population health, physical exam, communications, physicianship, procedural skills, ethics, global health, etc, etc...). There also isn't much of a gradual process into the curriculum - you'll pick up steam pretty much by the second week of classes and it really won't let up until graduation. Don't expect any basic biology either (i.e., this is an 'antibody' or this is the 'Krebs cycle')...the hematologists and gastroenterologists come in full swing for course 1 :)

The program is amazing though and you will be blown away as to how fast it goes - you essentially 'giver' for 2 years, 9 months straight and then graduate as an MD... it's awesome :) Very practical too - like any program, you'll get lots of basic science, but the real curriculum goal is to make you into an excellent clinician (reflected well in the exams too). Hence, you really start learning 'medicine' on day 1 of the program.

PM me if you have any questions. Best thing to do is relax all summer and don't open a book before day 1. First exam is like 6 weeks after you start, so believe me, you don't want to burn out before you even begin :)

Oh also, don't make the mistake of buying textbooks like so many of us did on day 1 - there are only a couple of textbooks you'll need for the entire program (which upper year students will tell you about), the rest are a waste of money...congrats on getting in!

This is an excellent post!

Both pre-clerkship and clerkship electives can be done anywhere (international or national) as long as the UME approves them (i.e., they have to be through a legitimate medical school if international).

Thanks. Just on the research front though, is a month in summer really enough time to do any significant research, especially if it is not at a location accessible to continue research during the year?

Thanks. Just on the research front though, is a month in summer really enough time to do any significant research, especially if it is not at a location accessible to continue research during the year?

It would depend on what type of project you're doing, and your relationship with your supervisor. Chances are you are not going to be able to collect meaningful data, analyze it and whip up a publishable paper in one month's time. If you were able to do the analysis and writing it remotely, it might work out, but you'd have to find a supervisor willing to allow you to do so. Life is so much easier when you have access to your PI.

If it's significant earth-shattering research you're interested in doing, you may want to consider the Leaders In Medicine program, which allows you to work on a Master's or PhD concurrently with your MD. The program is quite reputable, and several of my colleagues went through it. It adds a few years to your time in school, but good research takes time!

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized that our clerkship schedule doesnt include specialities like oncology, radiology, respirology, dermatology, cardiology, nephrology and etc etc etc... Does that mean that we'll be missing out on those areas during clerkship??? :eek::rolleyes::mad::(

I just realized that our clerkship schedule doesnt include specialities like oncology, radiology, respirology, dermatology, cardiology, nephrology and etc etc etc... Does that mean that we'll be missing out on those areas during clerkship???

No - everything you need is covered throughout the curriculum in some way or another.

Stop worrying about research, clerkship, rotations, etc...etc... it's a solid program and you will get a quality MD education. Enjoy the next three weeks and take a deep breath about everything. You are in for a steep learning curve and a very intense 3 years, but you will do fine in the end :)

Haha you are right! That's what I have been telling myself, to enjoy this "premed" time. I guess I will stop worrying over these small details for now :)

No - everything you need is covered throughout the curriculum in some way or another.

Stop worrying about research, clerkship, rotations, etc...etc... it's a solid program and you will get a quality MD education. Enjoy the next three weeks and take a deep breath about everything. You are in for a steep learning curve and a very intense 3 years, but you will do fine in the end :)

I just realized that our clerkship schedule doesnt include specialities like oncology, radiology, respirology, dermatology, cardiology, nephrology and etc etc etc... Does that mean that we'll be missing out on those areas during clerkship??? :eek::rolleyes::mad::(

You can do some of those as IM selectives.

Archived