Premed 101 Forums

UofA Physical Therapy GPA

Does anyone know what the general consensus is when it comes to GPA for in-province applicants? I know the website specifies a GPA >3.5 (over the last 60 credits) to be competitive, but what would be a good hypothetical cut-off? I think my GPA will be in the range of 3.7-3.8, and I'm wondering if I should be satisfied with that GPA, or attempt to raise it with extra courses?

Thank you for your input! :)

I got waitlisted at U of A today with an OOP GPA of 3.74. I wonder what my chances are of being offered a spot. I'm still waiting on Queen's and I really hope things work out for me as it's my second time applying to PT, first time at U of A! Hopefully good news comes for you at the Ontario schools!

I definitely met someone at the interview with a 3.6 GPA. So I think you should be in the clear. But you never know, things have been getting more competitive recently and who knows, next year might be different.

Since I have until December 2014 to complete courses that will be used in the calculation, I could probably push to take seventeen more courses in addition to the three Spring courses I'm currently enrolled in. Either by overloading or taking another Spring semester in 2014. In that case, I could still potentially get a 4.0, but I'm going to be conservative and say a 3.7-3.8 is more where my average lies. Hopefully, that'll be enough for an Alberta resident! I'll just have to wait and see, thank you for your input. :)

When I called last year the admissions had said their average acceptance was 3.7 for in-province and 3.9 OOP. If you're in Alberta you don't need as high of an average, as you will only compete within your province. OOP competes with internationals for maybe 10 spots, hence why it's so much higher. If you get a 3.7-3.8 it should be fine. Always aim on the higher end, the years are getting more competitive still!

Well I emailed to find out what my assessed GPA was. They had me at a 3.9. I actually was very confident in my performance at the MMI. I have no idea what went wrong.

It would be nice if you could call and get some feedback on your performance! I worked hard for my interview but I felt that I had a tad of luck because I seemed to connect very well with the person I was interviewed twice by. Did you apply to the other schools?

Archived