Premed 101 Forums

The dreaded DAT.....or is it dreaded?

Guest hummer

Guest hummer

Hey guys/gals

Just wondering what courses are necessary for the DAT. Is it possible to write it after 1st year (chem,Bio, Physics)

Is the DAT really hard in terms of difficulty and topic coverage?

Thanks alot to eveyone on the board. Your help is appreciated :)

Hummer

Guest toothy

I thought the DAT was given at a bad time, because it coincided with school midterms (Nov and Feb). Unlike the MCAT which also had a summer session.

You can ace it without any 2nd year courses, just do a hardcore review before writing. Don't try to cram for the carving though, gotta put in some practice time to train the hands.

Guest bad hombre

yeah, the DAT is really now sweat if you've taken first year bio and chem at a dece university. but do practice some time management, speed reading, and the PAT and carving. especially the carving. that's where i got smoked on.

I'm slightly confused. I've checked out the Kaplan site and looked at DAT training courses. For some reason they list way more subjects on DAT, ie. they claim there's organic chem on it, some algebra, even trigonometry, and mention nothing at all about the carving part. Could it be the American DAT? From what I understand there's only 3 parts-sciences, PAT and carving.

Guest dent03

That's the American DAT to a T: no carving is the big hint!!!

Canadian DAT: no orgo, no algebra (from what I've read)... I am preparing to write this november, and to my knowledge, you just have to no basic first year bio (ie- cellular biology such as plasma membrane structure, photosynthesis, cellular respiration, etc., and know your first year inorganic chem (acid/base, Lewis structure/VESPR, etc.). From what I've heard, the science part is a joke, it's the carving that kills... I'm having nightmares already.....

Guest Liz

dent03, do you think that if i do a Kaplan MCAT course, i could also write the DAT no problem(ofcourse practising carving heavily before the actual test)?

Guest dent03

Yes, from what I know of the DAT, studying for the MCAT will cover all bases for the DAT. Just remember, things like physics and organic Chem that you will see on the MCAT will not be on the DAT. Like you said, the main thing that you will have to cover is the carving. All of the other sections will be covered in your studying for the MCAT. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Chief

Hey, I'm new here, I'm only 17, and I'm needing some information as well. I know that with the MCAT most people complete a bachelor of science before writing it. However, with the DAT, I see that you can write it after the first year of university. What I need to know is how long people usually remain in university before moving on to dental school, what is required, and how long is dental school.

Thanks

Guest toothy

who says most people finish BSc before writing the MCAT? It would be most beneficial if you looked at the admissions page for each university that you are interested in, to get specific information about requirements. Here is the list of the 10 schools in Canada offering dentistry (from west to east)

UBC, UofA, USask, UMan, UWO, UofT, McGill, UMontreal, Laval, Dalhousie.

(is McGill west of UMont?)

Archived