Premed 101 Forums

Public Health and Preventive Medicine

Salsa

Hi all,

I am wondering if there are advantages to holding an MPH (epidemiology specialization) degree prior to beginning residency in public health and preventive medicine (PHPM) or any other primary care residency for that matter. Will the resident still need to spend 5 years to complete the PHPM residency, or will the academic requirement be waived?

Also do PHPM residents get paid to complete the academic portion during their 5 year residency? If so, how much do they get paid?

Thank you :)

It might be helpful insofar as you could potentially even upgrade to a PhD during residency.

As far as I know, you will require 5 years of postgrad training either way, but you should contact individual programs directly. Historically it wasn't uncommon for people to enter a Community Medicine residency (as it used to be known) after practicing for a while and/or after completing another residency. That's still somewhat true more so than other disciplines.

In any case, residents will be paid their usual residency salaries at the appropriate PGY-X level during any purely academic blocks.

Note that Public Health and Preventive Medicine is not primary care.

Double check with each program you are interested in.

When I was interested in PHPM I wondered the same thing. I remember reading most places said you would get credit for your already completed MPH, and the training would be shortened I think by a year. If you apply for re-entry after family, the program was also shortened.

But I would double check with the programs individually.

Having an MPH or any other grad degree doesn't help shorten residency requirements for any other program since it isn't required to complete one for any other program.

Even if you have a research-based grad degree you still even need to complete that pesky research component of your residency. Such a pain.

Speaking of PHPM, any one have an idea about job market for this speciality ?

And do we can combine a desk work with some clinical work ?

I know in term of lifestyle and income it is not bad at all (in quebec about 250k per year)

Thnaks !

Speaking of PHPM, any one have an idea about job market for this speciality ?

And do we can combine a desk work with some clinical work ?

I know in term of lifestyle and income it is not bad at all (in quebec about 250k per year)

Thnaks !

not that many jobs, read up a lot on what 'moo' said in this subforum,

he did PHPM and he couldnt find a job in his field after grad

good thing is you have FM as a back-up

Archived