Premed 101 Forums

The first day of orientation is a dressy day - most men wear suits and women wear either suits or a blouse and dress pants/skirt. They take your photos for your ID and the class composite on the first day, so look snazzy!

For the rest of preclerkship, you'll need to dress up for clinical time, communications etc. - essentially, any time you're interacting with real patients or simulated patients. On average, it probably works out to 2 dressy days per week (sometimes more, sometimes less). However, most people do NOT wear suits for clinical time (you'd kind of stand out lol). Guys typically wear a button down with dress pants +/- tie, and women wear dress pants/shirt and a blouse or dress shirt or top with a cardigan etc.

When you don't need to dress up, most people dress casual - jeans, sweaters, etc.

Clerkship is dressyish every day. Varies a fair amount from rotation to rotation.

My suggestion would be not to break the bank. You'll want presentable clothes that are comfortable first and foremost, because you'll need to be able to maneuver for physical exam, get around from place to place, etc. For women, a few places I've gotten great deals include the Gap (online - they often have 30 or 40% off sales, if you know your sizes this is a great source for basics like blouses), the Banana Republic Factory Store, Joe Fresh and H&M. Pairing cheaper blouses or cardigans with a few nicer pieces (like good quality dress pants) can really make you look polished with more bang for your buck.

As an example, in the clinic right now, my day to day spring/summer wear is typically comfortable black pants (Gap black "jeans" without pockets FTW - look presentable but WAY more comfy than typical dress pants) or khakis, a blouse or simple wide strap tank top with a cardigan over top, or a dress shirt with 3/4 length sleeves. Most of what I own is washable - I have gotten bodily fluids sprayed/dripped on me a few times, so this is key. And you'll find yourself leaning up against patients' beds.

The lesson is comfy and washable = good.

Archived