Premed 101 Forums

Summer Before Med School

Hey everyone! Soo I was just wondering if I should work or not this summer before I start med school? Currently I'm serving approx 6 days a week. I just want to hear about your summers before you started med school, what you did etc. and kind of guide me on a indecisive decision! Thanks all :)

I decided to work a typical 40 hour/week job just so I could earn a little bit of money, but a lot of my classmates took the summer to travel, hang out with friends, etc. The U of S curriculum starts from the basics, so don't worry too much about studying.

Some things I did during the summer to save me some time when school started:

- Find a place in Saskatoon

- Get my CPR-HCP certification

- Get a line of credit

- Applied for student loans

Congratulations on getting in!

BTW, there's also a Class of 2017 group on Facebook, so join it if you haven't already!

I compromised and decided to end my work contract with the Feds in mid-July so I can make some bank and still go to Osheaga and the beach. Also taking two weeks vacation before work ends to go find an apartment and... Not work! I think it's all based on personal preference - I hadn't counted on getting in anywhere so I had a work contract lined up for summer, and I figure I'll get some solid travelling in next summer :)

I'll be working all summer, right up until the very end for two reasons - the first being my current job pays pretty well, and I need the money for first year (I'm already SOL for OSAP anyways), and the second being that I really like my job! Hoping to get some good networking opportunities through upcoming conferences, and a couple of publications submitted by the end of August.

I'm not in the position to take off and go backpacking for a summer... although I would love to, and envy those who can!

Dude just chill all summer. You don't have many left in your life.

If only it were that easy... even though I'll be working full time I do plan on taking a week off, and some weekends to do some fun things. For the most part, the summer will be pretty relaxing.

Thanks everyone for sharing! Definitely helps me! I have decided to work but I'm going to slow down starting in June to about 3 days a week-ish. I have booked my SFA/CPR HCP course, applied for a few scholarships and my LOC and I think I might take a vegas trip in late June/early July. I definitely wanna have a chill summer and not work like a dog like I have been in previous summers. I also want to do some camping and hiking this summer for sure!! :)

Archived