Premed 101 Forums

Coming directly from undergrad...

It seems as though a lot of non-traditional students who have been out of school for sometime posted about their acceptance to Dal this year. Are there any incoming first years who applied straight after third year of undergrad and were accepted? If so, could you talk about your experiences during undergrad (activities, interests) and why you believe your application was competitive with people who have had more time to gain real world experience?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very good question. Those getting in from 3rd year: your experiences would be appreciated by us. It seems that good grades, research and volunteering don't cut it anymore. Being society execs and going to third world countries seem to be weighed more heavily these days.

It seems as though a lot of non-traditional students who have been out of school for sometime posted about their acceptance to Dal this year. Are there any incoming first years who applied straight after third year of undergrad and were accepted? If so, could you talk about your experiences during undergrad (activities, interests) and why you believe your application was competitive with people who have had more time to gain real world experience?

• 1 month later...
This is a very good question. Those getting in from 3rd year: your experiences would be appreciated by us. It seems that good grades, research and volunteering don't cut it anymore. Being society execs and going to third world countries seem to be weighed more heavily these days.

I would love to hear from those who got applying after 3rd year as well. I applied for entry 2013 and was unsuccessful. I started (4 years ago now) and currently still run a society that brings students and professionals to under-resourced areas in developing countries to do work relating to health and development, and have been an exec on many societies at my school, and my supplemental score was low. (I also have good grades, research and other volunteering).

It's actually more about what Adcom is seeking for than whether or not someone is non-trad. Apparently, Dal looks for applicants who already proved their genuine interests to help out local communities. I read somewhere they would emphasize on quality over quantity.

Archived