Premed 101 Forums

URGENT! Advice needed!

mcathelp

Hey everyone, so I need some serious help/advice.

I signed up to write the MCAT in late May because I thought I could study during the school year (winter term) and be ready for this day, but I'm not!

As of now, I haven't even studied half of the material. I did a practice test and scored a 24. I am in no state to actually write the MCAT for real.

My question: I plan to go ahead and still write it. (At least I'll get the $30 gift card for the trial section. It's also good practice). But if I do, should I void it? Or should I leave it be and receive my score.

Essentially this is my question:

--> Is there a disadvantage to having a very poor MCAT score on your record, even if you eventually have a good score on record after??

I know most medical schools look at your most recent writing. But is there any school (or any way you could think of) where having a lower score on record is a disadvantage???

I would just write it. In some instances like Saskatchewan (where you need express consent for taking the test more than 5 times), a bad test can hurt you. But besides that you're mostly dealing with the most recent/best score policies.

Even where old tests are still looked at, such as in the US, improving from a 24 to a 30 will still demonstrate your aptitude. And who knows, you may just get lucky - a high VR mark alone would let you apply to Mac.

Hey everyone, so I need some serious help/advice.

I signed up to write the MCAT in late May because I thought I could study during the school year (winter term) and be ready for this day, but I'm not!

As of now, I haven't even studied half of the material. I did a practice test and scored a 24. I am in no state to actually write the MCAT for real.

My question: I plan to go ahead and still write it. (At least I'll get the $30 gift card for the trial section. It's also good practice). But if I do, should I void it? Or should I leave it be and receive my score.

Essentially this is my question:

--> Is there a disadvantage to having a very poor MCAT score on your record, even if you eventually have a good score on record after??

I know most medical schools look at your most recent writing. But is there any school (or any way you could think of) where having a lower score on record is a disadvantage???

Only the US really and only then if you do the test say 3 times.

I would say you don't have that much to lose and the experience is a powerful educational experience (all the practise tests in the world aren't quite the same as the real thing, under real and firm time pressure).

Hey,

Your MCAT score of 24 is at the national average, well below (6 standard devs) from the generally accepted score. Even scoring a 30 (a even spread of 10 10 10) is merely meeting cutoffs for some schools. How did you score on the AAMC practice tests, especially AAMC 10, 11 and I think they have 12 also? If your score is fluctuating around the 24 range, then don't expect a spontaneous 30 because they are quite good at predicting your actual score from my personal experience. Further, since you yourself agree that you are not prepared and that you do not feel confident I will strongly discourage you from scoring it.

However, that does not mean you cannot write it and void it. Writing it at the test center will give you an idea of how it feels to take it under the actual conditions, so it is definitely a great advantage. Just remember not to score it because although you want to write it a second time, a poor score of 24 still reflects an abysmal effort. Personally I had to write my MCAT twice, first time I scored a 30 and the next a 34, which shows a good trend and I felt prepared both times. I cannot with 100% accuracy say how an average first score will affect the medical school committee decision, but why take the risk if you know you are not prepared and you further plan to write it a second time. In any case, this is my opinion and you should ultimately make a sound judgement.

Only the US really and only then if you do the test say 3 times.

I would say you don't have that much to lose and the experience is a powerful educational experience (all the practise tests in the world aren't quite the same as the real thing, under real and firm time pressure).

Do you know where exactly/what schools in the US?

I didn't want to admit this but I actually already have a low score, so this would be my 2nd time writing it...meaning I would probably have 3 scores in the end.

Do you know where exactly/what schools in the US?

I didn't want to admit this but I actually already have a low score, so this would be my 2nd time writing it...meaning I would probably have 3 scores in the end.

ahh ok! well I was under the impression a lot of them really - but the international forum can really help with that. Plus I am not sure how voiding works exactly - I though some schools still count that to be honest as an attempt in the US.

It is a little trickier now in your case - was applying to the US a potential option for you?

Voiding is an option which allows you to write the test but not score it and it is not visible to schools (but visible to only you) as it is not counted as an attempt . Simply put, at the end of the test you will be asked to either "Score" or "Void". If you hit "Void" then your test will not be scored and disregarded. However, if you "Score" it, then it means you will receive a score within app 30 days and all schools which you release your score to can see it.

I wouldn't write it if I were you until you're sure you're ready. You're only allowed to write it three times per year, and voiding counts as one try (but no shows don't count) - check the manual.

As other said, several re-writes of the MCAT all with low scores doesn't reflect well on you in the US. Also, several schools in the US average the MCAT scores.

Don't dimiss the US as your destination. More Canadians study medicine outside Canada than inside Canada.

Yes, I should clarify as BubbaBlue pointed out, writing and voiding does count as an attempt for the sake for MCAT as you are only allowed to write it 3 times per year. However, a voided attempt is not visible to medical schools. I got this from the manual, see below:

"A voided exam does count as one of the three attempts you are allowed within a testing year"

"Information from voided exams is not included on any score reports."

"Indication of a voided exam will be displayed in the MCAT THx system, but the fact that you chose to void an exam is not released to any medical schools."

I hope this helps!

One other option is to pay to move the exam forward. I have done that in the past when I wasn't ready. Although it appears that many sites are full when you go to rebook or reschedule, you'll find that many seats open up as you get closer to the actual write date. It's still a bit of a gamble, but if you feel you can't do well right now then that is still an option.

Otherwise, I would either no-show or write and void, then book another for later in the summer. Assuming that you're able to get some good study time in.

ahh ok! well I was under the impression a lot of them really - but the international forum can really help with that. Plus I am not sure how voiding works exactly - I though some schools still count that to be honest as an attempt in the US.

It is a little trickier now in your case - was applying to the US a potential option for you?

Yes but only as a backup if I didn't have any success here in Canada..

Thanks for all the replies guys! I was reading some things on the studentdoc forum and hearing that rewrites are not terrible, especially if show you've improved with each rewrite.

There are a lot of posts of people rewriting and getting interviews and acceptances.

Hmm...

I guess it comes down to how confident I feel at the end of the test...and whether I feel like I've improved from my previous score.

Archived