Premed 101 Forums

Affiliated Student at Cambridge

Hello,

What exactly are the implications of being an "affiliated student" at Cambridge for Medicine? Does is simply mean that you complete the degree in 5 years, not 6? You don't actually need to keep any affiliation with your undergrad university, do you?

Hello,

What exactly are the implications of being an "affiliated student" at Cambridge for Medicine? Does is simply mean that you complete the degree in 5 years, not 6? You don't actually need to keep any affiliation with your undergrad university, do you?

I'm pretty sure this applies to Home/EU grads only. They never mentioned International grads in this. You should ask Cambridge to clarify though to make sure.

I'm pretty sure this applies to Home/EU grads only. They never mentioned International grads in this. You should ask Cambridge to clarify though to make sure.

From http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/#Medicinea101 :

"The Cambridge Graduate Course in Medicine (CGCM) is a four-year medical course for outstanding graduates from any discipline. The course is open to UK/EU students who satisfy the entry requirements. (International graduates may apply for the standard undergraduate course, A100, as an affiliated student. Places are limited.)"

Sorry, I should have been clearer about where I found that information. It is only on the graduate admission website.

From http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/#Medicinea101 :

"The Cambridge Graduate Course in Medicine (CGCM) is a four-year medical course for outstanding graduates from any discipline. The course is open to UK/EU students who satisfy the entry requirements. (International graduates may apply for the standard undergraduate course, A100, as an affiliated student. Places are limited.)"

Sorry, I should have been clearer about where I found that information. It is only on the graduate admission website.

Ah ok this helps. I think it just means you study 5 years instead of 6 nothing else. Again i'm not 100% sure but that does make sense.

Cambridge is slightly more open than Oxford to internationals, i believe they accepted 7 internationals for their 6 year program last year. I think you should give it a shot.

One point i would like to add though. For medicine, the world rankings don't really tell you the true story.

Cambridge students are smart, but the resources offered to Cambridge students pale in comparison to most of the top tier North American schools. There are fewer research programs, fewer opportunities abroad and you will be taking classes with mostly school leavers (aka 18-19 year olds (since you are applying to the affiliated program)).

I know a lot of people assume Cambridge medicine must be good because its Cambridge. It is good, but the gap between Oxbridge and other medical schools is similar to the gap between Canadian medical schools, i.e. not very big.

One point i would like to add though. For medicine, the world rankings don't really tell you the true story.

Cambridge students are smart, but the resources offered to Cambridge students pale in comparison to most of the top tier North American schools. There are fewer research programs, fewer opportunities abroad and you will be taking classes with mostly school leavers (aka 18-19 year olds (since you are applying to the affiliated program)).

I know a lot of people assume Cambridge medicine must be good because its Cambridge. It is good, but the gap between Oxbridge and other medical schools is similar to the gap between Canadian medical schools, i.e. not very big.

I definitely agree with you. Can't take rankings as the only determining factor of school quality. There are other reasons I am interested in going abroad. I think I will give it a shot. You only live once (unless you're James Bond, in which case you live twice).

Archived