Premed 101 Forums

What's the experience of those from French schools applying o/s Quebec?

Have any students from French speaking schools applied in CaRMS for residency in provinces beyond Quebec? And if so, how have you prepared? Have you done some rotations in other provinces? What else?

If there are no replies, this will be an answer in itself.

i'm not helpful at all but i'm definitely considering doing the opposite so any infos would be interessing. :) (even if i'm yeaaaars away from residency haha)

i'm not helpful at all but i'm definitely considering doing the opposite so any infos would be interessing. :) (even if i'm yeaaaars away from residency haha)

Do you speak French fluently? Most patients hardly speak English... Otherwise, some residency spots are kept available only for people outside Quebec. You would definitely get a chance here.

Do you speak French fluently? Most patients hardly speak English... Otherwise, some residency spots are kept available only for people outside Quebec. You would definitely get a chance here.

yes, i'm from quebec!

(and i think that, by residency, i will miss home way too much. i would love to do my residency at UL so i could probably get at job somewhere in the city after.)

Really? I've never heard of that. Do you have an example? Even IMGs don't have separate spots in Qc...

are you going to study medicine out of province (from quebec) alexaa? I am as well starting in autumn

are you going to study medicine out of province (from quebec) alexaa? I am as well starting in autumn

yes (if i get in next year, obviously)! i'm doing my undergrad out of province too.

where are you from/going? if you don't mind saying it.

i don't know much people doing this so i'm always curious.

Of course people do it. Many from my class are doing there residency out west at UBC, U of T ect. Do electives at the schools you're interested and the appropriate research and the interviews will come. You just have to properly plan your electives. As for people coming to Quebec from outside, it is probably more rare at the francophone universities but common at McGill. The patients will of course be french and if you speak the language it should not be an issue. We actually have a lot of spots in competitive residencies that have less applicants due to the "french" thing. It's to your benefit if you can apply.

• 2 weeks later...
Of course people do it. Many from my class are doing there residency out west at UBC, U of T ect. Do electives at the schools you're interested and the appropriate research and the interviews will come. You just have to properly plan your electives. As for people coming to Quebec from outside, it is probably more rare at the francophone universities but common at McGill. The patients will of course be french and if you speak the language it should not be an issue. We actually have a lot of spots in competitive residencies that have less applicants due to the "french" thing. It's to your benefit if you can apply.

The OP asked about people from the french schools doing residency outside of Quebec, not people from McGill.

My experience coming from a "french school" is that there is no issue in matching out of province. The Quebec schools have a skewed view of things since the vast majority of students stay in province, so they don't give as much time for electives or interviews, but you can easily work around that.

I am also a Qc student wondering how hard it is to get a residency out-of-province. Anyone have any comments? Personal experience?

If we aren't able to get electives there (many restrictions here on how many electives we can take outside our school, etc), does it make getting an interview even possible? Severely decrease our chances of a fair chance at placing?

Also, I am wondering if the residency programs look at our preclinical grades. For instance, some schools are pass-fail, others get graded on a curve. Do you think for some of the competitive programs, even if you get good evals in clerkship, and do some research, it is pointless applying if your preclinical grades are not too great?

I am also a Qc student wondering how hard it is to get a residency out-of-province. Anyone have any comments? Personal experience?

If we aren't able to get electives there (many restrictions here on how many electives we can take outside our school, etc), does it make getting an interview even possible? Severely decrease our chances of a fair chance at placing?

Also, I am wondering if the residency programs look at our preclinical grades. For instance, some schools are pass-fail, others get graded on a curve. Do you think for some of the competitive programs, even if you get good evals in clerkship, and do some research, it is pointless applying if your preclinical grades are not too great?

If you can't do an elective and the specialty is competitive, than yes, generally your chance of matching at that center is reduced. The more competitive, the more reduced.

My program has never taken someone sight unseen for a long time. For the record, we are a highly competitive program for applicants across the country.

I applied outside of Quebec (only Ontario though) and it was a Great experience! All the program directors told me that too few francophones apply to residency programs in other provinces. And actually, in cities like Ottawa they look for people who are fluent in french.

Archived