Premed 101 Forums

Starting CEGEP in two months-Tips

Guest tryhardnumber1

Guest tryhardnumber1

Aiming for a crazy R-Score, crazy extracurriculars, crazy fun :)

Any tips for starters here? I thought it could help many stressed-out high school people :P

I just completed my first year so here's what I wish I'd known/done:

You will receive a syllabus for each class on your first week. This is very important as it tells you what you need to know for each exam and what you'll be doing in each class.

If you want amazing grades, you need to know ahead of time what the teacher will be talking about. Here's why. When you first hear about something, it's not always that easy to grasp all the concepts quickly. Not only do you need to listen to what the teacher's saying, you need to think a little in order to understand and you need to take notes.

That can become overwhelming, especially in a 3-hour class. You managed to understand something and the teacher already jumps onto something else.

But if you already understand ahead of time, the teacher explaining it will become a source of studying (rather than learning). Plus, when you write your notes in class, it will also serve as a way to memorize better what you already know.

It's also great because it enables you to ask questions earlier on than the others. As always, if you are ahead, that gives greater marks.

You have to start from day 1. You might get only 3 hours worth of homework. That doesn't mean you should limit yourself to the work you received that day.

That's really the main issue I realized I (and many other people) have.

Always do more than is expected. If your teacher tells you that you should complete a set of exercises for next week, try to do it the very same week you got it. Even if you have an exam coming up in another class, falling behind is the worst thing that can happen. Never go to sleep if you don't understand what you did in class that day. Then again, try to sleep *at least* 6-7 hours or tiredness will make you unable to concentrate in class.

If you are organized, it's very possible to come out a winner. Good luck!

You know, I think that it really depends on the type of learner you are. I mean, the advice given above is really helpful and I know a lot of my friends rely on them and they succeed ! Though, it's not my case. I personally prefer to do all my exercises approximately one week before the exam. That way, I don't forget any little details that might be important for the exam. To make it work, I make sure that I understand the material covered in class after every lecture, even though I don't do the exercises right then. I tried to do my exercises the day I received them, but I realised that one month and a half later (the day of the exam), there were so many things that I didn't remember and I had to do my exercises all over again, which is counterproductive.

So, that's just my two cents to tell you that you should find YOUR tips to study. Good luck in CEGEP !

Archived