Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa - Detailed Autobiographic Sketch

It would be volunteering if for free to those who cannot afford it. In other words, you are giving them respite, necessary time to be alone and charge their batteries. Perhaps, you spend quality time with these children, reading to them or otherwise engaging their attention in something constructive for them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It clearly states on their website the top 3 need to be from "post-secondary university studies"....I would consider graduate school a post-secondary university study.

Ottawa tends to give little weight to graduate studies so I would emphasize undergrad work on the application. AFAIK they are the only school that allow you to quite a Masters to begin med (which I think is somewhat immoral).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I posted this in the general omsas discussion, but I haven't received a reply and need advice asap. Since high school I have helped out with my dads girlfriends business. It is a country convenience/food/coffee shop. I basically maintain the property (brick repair, painting, fixing problems with the floor, cut the grass) and help with preparing and serving food. I do not get paid for this. Is this okay to put down on my ABS considering it is "family"? I put many hours into this and I have done so many different things that it has made me much more well-rounded, so I definitely learned a lot.

Thank you

Hi all,

I posted this in the general omsas discussion, but I haven't received a reply and need advice asap. Since high school I have helped out with my dads girlfriends business. It is a country convenience/food/coffee shop. I basically maintain the property (brick repair, painting, fixing problems with the floor, cut the grass) and help with preparing and serving food. I do not get paid for this. Is this okay to put down on my ABS considering it is "family"? I put many hours into this and I have done so many different things that it has made me much more well-rounded, so I definitely learned a lot.

Thank you

I am sending you a PM. :P

Where did you read this (about UG only)? I cannot find it anywhere in the OMSAS guide or Ottawa website. I mean I am going to try and emphasize UG stuff, but I want to make sure putting grad stuff doesn't disqualify me.

Sorry about any confusion I caused. It states clearly that they only want activities that you completed throughout your post-secondary studies, this would include grad school.

Savac - I have seen you around quite a lot over the past couple years. Tough year last year, sorry to see.

Are you applying this year? If so, where?

Yeah, I'm here quite often. PM101 keeps me sane. I'm applying to a fair chunk of the Canadian schools, and a few US schools as well.

Tough year, he got two interviews as a 3rd year applicant, I'd say that's a pretty good year, and should have a much better one this year!

Yeah, here's hoping that this year works out better! Good luck to you as well :)

Yeah, here's hoping that this year works out better! Good luck to you as well :)

Why thank you, i honestly would just like to get in somewhere, I keep looking at my GPA/MCAT and keep telling myself that I have to get an interview somewhere.

I imgaine we'll be seeing a lot of each other from now until May 13.

Good luck to you as well!

What are people's thoughts on including a personal sketch item as one of the top 3 activities? I took care of an ill family member along with taking on greater home responsibilities. It's something that had started in high school and has continued into the present. It's significant to me but I wonder if I should choose something more traditional for the top 3. Thanks.

Archived