Premed 101 Forums

Job Market in Canada

Hi

I recently spoke with a few residents in different programs in Canada. They told me that after residency, it's not that easy to find a job unless you are in family med or something, and a lot of people are having to do a fellowships which doesn't pay as well to wait for a job to open up and because of this, some of them are applying to the US because after 4 years of med, 5 years of rez, they want a permanent job and need to pay down their debt, I am starting to get worried, I have read articles about this in the news as well, that some orthos residents can't find jobs because of lack of funding in the hospitals or older doctors not retiring even if they are willing to rural places. Can anyone comment on this or have personal experiences with this? Also, besides family med, what sorts of specialty has a good job market? the match rate for CMG is about 1 to 1 but what about after residency? is internal, or rhematology bad to find jobs with afterwards?

Hi

I recently spoke with a few residents in different programs in Canada. They told me that after residency, it's not that easy to find a job unless you are in family med or something, and a lot of people are having to do a fellowships which doesn't pay as well to wait for a job to open up and because of this, some of them are applying to the US because after 4 years of med, 5 years of rez, they want a permanent job and need to pay down their debt, I am starting to get worried, I have read articles about this in the news as well, that some orthos residents can't find jobs because of lack of funding in the hospitals or older doctors not retiring even if they are willing to rural places. Can anyone comment on this or have personal experiences with this? Also, besides family med, what sorts of specialty has a good job market? the match rate for CMG is about 1 to 1 but what about after residency? is internal, or rhematology bad to find jobs with afterwards?

Rheum is still quite good I think. General IM is also good if you are flexible with location.

Generally, the more procedure/hospital dependent you are the tougher the market is.

Psych and geriatrics are also good right now.

The thing is you are quite a ways from being done i assume. It's hard to make predictions this far out. That being said, huge shifts in the market are unlikely in that time. We probably won't have a glut of family docs or a massive Ortho shortage, but you may see some tight markets loosen and loose markets tighten.

Archived