Premed 101 Forums

Work or MScN?

laladeedee

I'm wondering your opinions on when I finish nursing(which will be next year):

1) should I look for a job and seek to get a year or so of basic RN experience

Or

2) should I apply to a masters program right after undergrad and if I get in, just continue to study and then after this, look for a job

My concern is about future employment. If I finish an MScN program without having any basic experience, will employers be hesitant to hire me? Will it be a disadvantage?

Just graduated nursing -- my personal opinion is that you should work for a while before considering a masters. You can actually do your masters while you work as a nurse. You'll be able to keep up with your skills and pay off your tuition at the same time. Also, when you graduate you should be taking advantage of the nursing graduate guarantee -- not sure if this opportunity is valid for students graduating from a masters.

Finally, if you have some work experience the learning you get from a masters program will only build upon it.

Ultimately the decision is up to you though.

It'd be fooolish not to atleast work for a year. Even if you go into teaching, admin etc you'll have no experience to draw upon from. The last thing we need is an administrator who has never touched a patient to start creating policies, we have a plethora of those already.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived