Premed 101 Forums

Medical Officer of Health (MOH) questions

I believe that this job involves: health policy reform, public health, health promotion, disaster/outbreak management, epidemiology etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I understand that Public Health and Preventative Medicine residency programs train people to become MOH.

However, I've also heard that family medicine grads who do a Masters of Public Health (MPH) or even MDs with no residency training who decided to get an MPH can become MOHs... is this true? If so, then what's the point of doing a 5 year Public Health/Preventative med residency?

Anyone have insights into the job market for MOHs?

I think you've got the job right, though it can range from a more communicable diseases role to something in healthy living/health promotion.

I'm not really sure of the importance of the PHPM residency, but it is likely more important now than in the past. A MPH/MHSc tends to be considered equivalent, but I don't think anyone without residency training in a relevant specialty would be seriously considered (could be wrong, but many at least have CCFP and many more have FRCPC in PHPM/Community Medicine and/or another speciality).

There are jobs (anecdotally from family members) but these may or may not be advertised. You may been connections from a residency program to get a job roughly *where* you want it, though that applies for just about anything these days.

Nice post!The Institute of Medicine, part of the National Academy of the Sciences, has compiled a report describing

developments in health care spending. Among other conclusions, the IOM found that an enormous amount of

money is down to healthcare waste, or on anything but helping patients. Medical waste, such as unneeded

treatments and administrative overhead, makes up about $750 billion each year. Get an

installment loan to help pay your medical

bills.

I went to a career talk from a 5 year FRCPC Public Health talk given by a graduate who works as a MOH consultant.

She stated that you mostly find the 5 year folks in the top MOH positions while lower tier MOH associates or whatever you would call the MDs under the main MOH have CCFP+MPH or as consultants. She currently worked just as a consultant due to family commitments. Contrary to her statement though I know of a family physician with 30 years experience and a freshly minted via distance MPH accepting a full time MOH position in NE Ontario so it seems still possible in less desirable locations though her combination of 30 years clinical experience, plus being the local coroner as well as her new MPH would make her a better candidate than a fresh CCFP+ MPH out of school.

I have my MPH already so I was quite curious about this. I am NOT interested in the 5 year route as I am interested in 2+1 emerg route but would like to keep the MOH associate/consultant work open when/if I wish to slow down my eventual clinical practice.

I have noticed a lot of physcian's in their mid to late 50s tend to take on more administrative, research or desk work so it seems nice to have something already in mind.

Beef

I went to a career talk from a 5 year FRCPC Public Health talk given by a graduate who works as a MOH consultant.

She stated that you mostly find the 5 year folks in the top MOH positions while lower tier MOH associates or whatever you would call the MDs under the main MOH have CCFP+MPH or as consultants. She currently worked just as a consultant due to family commitments. Contrary to her statement though I know of a family physician with 30 years experience and a freshly minted via distance MPH accepting a full time MOH position in NE Ontario so it seems still possible in less desirable locations though her combination of 30 years clinical experience, plus being the local coroner as well as her new MPH would make her a better candidate than a fresh CCFP+ MPH out of school.

I have my MPH already so I was quite curious about this. I am NOT interested in the 5 year route as I am interested in 2+1 emerg route but would like to keep the MOH associate/consultant work open when/if I wish to slow down my eventual clinical practice.

I have noticed a lot of physcian's in their mid to late 50s tend to take on more administrative, research or desk work so it seems nice to have something already in mind.

Beef

Everything is possible in less desirable areas.

I don't think that's very realistic. Most MOHs enter public health work earlier in their careers. It's not something you can just transition to later on in your career, prior MPH notwithstanding. An associate MOH is not a part-time consultant but a full-time position in larger public health units where there are multiple associates and a single chief MOH. (That's how it works in the GTA anyway.)

Archived