Premed 101 Forums

Hello!

I was wondering what the job prospects are like for new PA grads. I've looked on career pages in hospitals across the GTA and postings seem to be few and far between. Are new grads often offered jobs privately following graduation? Is it probable to be offered a position in a certain subspecialty that you are particularly interested in? One concern of mine is being forced to take a position after graduation that I am not particularly interested in... just because that's the only thing available.

Hello!

I was wondering what the job prospects are like for new PA grads. I've looked on career pages in hospitals across the GTA and postings seem to be few and far between. Are new grads often offered jobs privately following graduation? Is it probable to be offered a position in a certain subspecialty that you are particularly interested in? One concern of mine is being forced to take a position after graduation that I am not particularly interested in... just because that's the only thing available.

The new grads are given access to a list of Ministry-funded positions (employers must apply for the funding before-hand) that are looking for PAs and then can apply. The number of jobs on the list has been more than the number of graduating PAs over each year thus far. So most everyone gets a job, but to get a job that is 1)what you want, 2) where you want, and 3) the compensation you want is difficult and usually you have to compromise on one of these.

There are no guarantees in life (save death and taxes, though maybe you could get out of death). But the job prospects for a graduating PA in Ontario right now are better than for a heck of a lot of other professions.

Archived