Premed 101 Forums

Best English Cegep for Health Science

Hey guys, I am going to enter my last year of high school in September and I have to decide soon which cegep I want to attend. I want to go in the health science profile. My grades are above average but not exceptional. I am willing to work even harder but I want to make sure that I choose the right cegep where I can succeed. Location and tuition is not really a problem. Which cegep do you think is best?

Actually, I believe that when you choose to attend a private cegep where the students are usually stronger, to achieve a competitive R-score, you need to be better than the others. If you succeed, then your R-score would be amazing, otherwise, it would be pretty deceiving. Therefore, I'd recommand another cegep for the OP, because he/she stated that he/she has good grades, but not way above average. A public cegep is a better idea, in my opinion.

Actually, I believe that when you choose to attend a private cegep where the students are usually stronger, to achieve a competitive R-score, you need to be better than the others. If you succeed, then your R-score would be amazing, otherwise, it would be pretty deceiving. Therefore, I'd recommand another cegep for the OP, because he/she stated that he/she has good grades, but not way above average. A public cegep is a better idea, in my opinion.

+1

Going to Mariano would be a mistake. Go to a public cegep and do your best... all the time.

I attended Marianopolis, and believe me, if you decide to chose Mari too and you're actually ready to work hard, you could definitely be successful in getting a decent R Score for admission to competitive programs. However, if you slack off, then you might regret it terribly. I personally did really well (top 10% of my graduating class) despite being slightly disadvantaged during the 1st semester because of language limitations (I had always attended French schools before). But needless to say I was that kind of student who would never stop studying. One of the advantages of going to Marianopolis is that you're going to meet some really smart kids with whom you will keep in touch after cegep. Additionally, you'll be taught by awesome profs. They all hold PhDs or most of them do. Don't forget that since many years, Marianopolis has maintained the reputation of giving its students the best science curriculum of the province. This also means you'll have go through harder examinations than if you'd attend another cegep. In the end, you have to make you choice based on the type of environment you want to study in. All that I've talked about previously is one side of the coin. If you chose Mari, be ready to study in a competitive environment. That means that everyone is not a friend. Some people will try to discourage you, and some of your friends might even feel happy that they've scored 2% higher than you on that Chemistry test and let you know about it. Make sure you're ok with working under pressure because this is the kind of experience that awaits you. Whatever choice you make, make it wisely. If you decide to attend any other public cegep, you will probably have the same chances as any Mari graduate to get into medical school. Don't be under the misconception that you are increasing your chances by choosing a private college. If I could go back in the past, I might have opted for another school, but I'm not regretting my choice completely. I hope this was helpful! Best of luck in your future endeavours!

I have a friend who went to Marianopolis. We were always competing against each other in high school, we both had a 88-90% average (I usually had grades a little better than her).

I went to Maisonneuve, I got a 35.6 R-Score

She went to Marianopolis, she got around 28.

We both wanted to go to medschool.

Part of that is because I must have studied more or something like that, of course. But I do think that's it's harder to get a good R-Score at Marianopolis. I don't want to say that no one should go there, it CAN be a good school for some. But is it THE ABSOLUTE BEST? No. It is a very competitive school and not everyone likes to study in that environment.

Yeah... I went to marianopolis 9 years ago. It's great, don't get me wrong, but there are profs with phds in every cegep, tests are not harder at marianopolis, and the science curriculum is average at marianopolis (no ac circuits in NYC..., no power series in math nyb...., a lot of people have to take topics in mathematics in their 1st session which is basically high school math... ridiculous).

Archived