Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Citizen With US Green Card

My understanding is that IMG designation depends only on the location of your medical school education. Your immigration status in the USA does not play a role.

That being said, Canadian medical graduates are not considered IMG, because Canadian medical schools are accredited by the same regulatory body.

So, an American citizen who studies in a Caribbean medical school will be considered an IMG in the match. On the other hand, a Canadian citizen graduated from a Canadian medical school, regardless if he/she has USA green card or not, is not an IMG.

In reality, this only means that, as a Canadian medical graduate, you do not have to follow all those additional rules for IMGs. But a lot of residency directors may not be familiar with the issue. Even for those who know the difference between Canadian medical graduates and IMGs, you may still be in a disadvantaged position given the lack of connections you have in the USA plus the visa issue (which does not apply in your case).

If one is a Canadian citizen studying medicine in Canada and has a US green card, are they considered an IMG when applying to US residencies? I don't know if many can comment on this since it is a rare situation (I think).

Archived