Premed 101 Forums

Study there - Live there (UK/Ireland)

I am just starting out in the medschool process so bear with me!

I am a Canadian citizen and I want to go to UK/Ireland for medicine and live and work there as a doctor. What's the process like? Has anyone here done this? From what I have gathered most Canadian students studying abroad want to return to Canada and I have read some posts where the applicant was already an EU citizen so it was fairly straightforward for them (work/intern there or get matched back to Canada) but how hard is it to gain immigration and become an EU citizen while studying there? If this question has been answered already, I am sorry about the redundancy and would appreciate it if you could direct me there!

I am just starting out in the medschool process so bear with me!

I am a Canadian citizen and I want to go to UK/Ireland for medicine and live and work there as a doctor. What's the process like? Has anyone here done this? From what I have gathered most Canadian students studying abroad want to return to Canada and I have read some posts where the applicant was already an EU citizen so it was fairly straightforward for them (work/intern there or get matched back to Canada) but how hard is it to gain immigration and become an EU citizen while studying there? If this question has been answered already, I am sorry about the redundancy and would appreciate it if you could direct me there!

I think it is very difficult to get EU citizenship unless you have relatives from the country and can use some historical link. The easiest path is to get married to an EU citizen.

If you are determined you basically have all of medical school and 2 years of foundation before your citizenship counts against you, so there is time to get married.

• 1 month later...
I think it is very difficult to get EU citizenship unless you have relatives from the country and can use some historical link. The easiest path is to get married to an EU citizen.

If you are determined you basically have all of medical school and 2 years of foundation before your citizenship counts against you, so there is time to get married.

Can I hijack this thread and say that I've done this and I need to relocate to the EU ASAP? I'm in my second year of a BMSc and I don't know if I should finish it, do graduate courses in Canada or look for graduate study opportunities there? How would it work and would I be able to transfer into the program at some point in time? Should I just e-mail some admissions counsellors over there and ask them what path I can take?

Archived