Premed 101 Forums

Research experience/activity vs. publication

Guest Onlyothernameleft

Guest Onlyothernameleft

Hi guys! Just a question about listing research experience on my CV for CaRMS.

Seems like a CVs typically includes separate sections for research experience and publications. If I worked on a project that resulted in a publication, how should I mention it under research experience after I've already listed it under publications, as to avoid redundancy?

Seems like a CVs typically includes separate sections for research experience and publications. If I worked on a project that resulted in a publication, how should I mention it under research experience after I've already listed it under publications, as to avoid redundancy?

Under research experience you would list your title, your responsibilities, perhaps more info on the research, your role, etc (depends on your format).

In the publications section, just list the citation.

You don't have to separate the sections. You chose what's important to include. Obviously, published research is looked upon more favourably, but there is nothing stopping you from including your role in the published and/or unpublished projects. And listing "abstract/poster presented at XYZ" if it's not published.

Formal CV's are good when you have lots of things to fill it with - until then, it's your opportunity to demonstrate what you have done.

Archived