Premed 101 Forums

Elective with a community preceptor vs within the residency program

Hi there,

I recently was approved of an elective - however, the administrator told me that I will be with the same preceptor for 2 weeks and will unlikely be around residents or other staff/program director as that is within the university residency program and i will be in the community. Do you think this puts a student at a great disadvantage of networking?

I would love to hear peoples experiences in a community elective.

Thanks.

Hi there,

I recently was approved of an elective - however, the administrator told me that I will be with the same preceptor for 2 weeks and will unlikely be around residents or other staff/program director as that is within the university residency program and i will be in the community. Do you think this puts a student at a great disadvantage of networking?

Thanks.

Probably. What specialty, cause that can affect how bad of an idea it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

Thanks.

From friends who did a community elective, they initially regretted it, and when they actually went and did it, they found it put them at an advantage because it gave them more responsibilities/learning opportunities and facetime with the physician who could write them an amazing letter of reference. Whereas at a teaching hospital, you would probably see a lot of the senior resident, share learning opportunities with the team, and the staff physician might not know you as well.

Archived