Premed 101 Forums

French or English Stream?

I have been thinking about this for awhile..

5 years ago, I did not speak a single word of English as I had just moved to Ontario from a francophone environment. I went to a French elementary school. I also kept up with French classes during high school in Ontario.

Right now, I can comfortably read, write, and understand French. However, I am not as fluent in oral French anymore since I often find myself trying to translate words from English as I speak.

Should I give the French stream a shot? (And meanwhile practice oral French with my friends like mad)

I have been thinking about this for awhile..

5 years ago, I did not speak a single word of English as I had just moved to Ontario from a francophone environment. I went to a French elementary school. I also kept up with French classes during high school in Ontario.

Right now, I can comfortably read, write, and understand French. However, I am not as fluent in oral French anymore since I often find myself trying to translate words from English as I speak.

Should I give the French stream a shot? (And meanwhile practice oral French with my friends like mad)

Yes. Your chances of getting an interview on the French stream are much better than on the English stream. And I'm pretty sure that with a bit of practice, you'll be golden for an interview in French.

How are your other stats by the way? (GPA, autobio sketch, etc)

Absolutely give it a shot. :)

I attend a French speaking medical school. My French was really rusty at the time of the interview and I had some difficulty in understanding 2 questions at the MEMFI (I misunderstood them) but it was a good experience and I was accepted. I have since come up to speed, feeling no pain, am thoroughly enjoy the experience. Years later, I am having no problem, explain the English text passages to my classmates with difficulty in English.

You will be just fine and I encourage you to go for it. :) Good Luck!

Absolutely give it a shot. :)

I attend a French speaking medical school. My French was really rusty at the time of the interview and I had some difficulty in understanding 2 questions at the MEMFI (I misunderstood them) but it was a good experience and I was accepted. I have since come up to speed, feeling no pain, am thoroughly enjoy the experience. Years later, I am having no problem, explain the English text passages to my classmates with difficulty in English.

You will be just fine and I encourage you to go for it. :) Good Luck!

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like an incredible experience! May I ask, did you come from a French background?

Thanks for the encouragement! Time for me to search for French people to practice with haha

wGPA 3.87

1 year modelling

2 years clinical research with second author pub on the way

4 years volunteering at retirement home

3 years executive at youth group

2 years lifeguard/swim instructor

2 summers teaching foreign language to children

Your ECs look quite good (many ECs that are >1 year - very good time commitment ;) ).

Your wGPA might not be very competitive for the English stream though, so your chances for an interview are definitely much better on the French stream. You do make the official cutoff for the English stream, but from personal experience, if your wGPA is <3.90, your autobio sketch is scurtinized much, much more closely.

Your ECs look quite good (many ECs that are >1 year - very good time commitment ;) ).

Your wGPA might not be very competitive for the English stream though, so your chances for an interview are definitely much better on the French stream. You do make the official cutoff for the English stream, but from personal experience, if your wGPA is <3.90, your autobio sketch is scurtinized much, much more closely.

Thanks for the feedback, I will most likely apply in French! Do you know how I can go about proving my French background? My first language is not French... I'd imagine there are people who apply to the French stream due to GPA reasons and cannot speak French that well, does the school rule them out only during interviews?

Thanks for the feedback, I will most likely apply in French! Do you know how I can go about proving my French background? My first language is not French... I'd imagine there are people who apply to the French stream due to GPA reasons and cannot speak French that well, does the school rule them out only during interviews?

You prove it mainly during the interview. Before the interview, you can try to prove it with your ECs / autobio sketch or with your educational background. Maybe you can have a reference letter written up for you in French or have one of your references mention that you are very fluent in French?

Archived