Premed 101 Forums

Penalty for duplicating an activity

Hello,

I worked for an organization (extracurricular) for 3 years, each year taking on a different leadership roles. I emailed and asked them if I can write as 3 different activities, and they said it is okay as long as the roles are sufficiently different. But... would I be penalized for doing that? Although they are sufficiently different, could the reviewers see it as simply wanting to fill out space?

Hello,

I worked for an organization (extracurricular) for 3 years, each year taking on a different leadership roles. I emailed and asked them if I can write as 3 different activities, and they said it is okay as long as the roles are sufficiently different. But... would I be penalized for doing that? Although they are sufficiently different, could the reviewers see it as simply wanting to fill out space?

If they are sufficiently different, why would the reviewers think you are simply trying to fill up space? We have a contradiction! ;)

The activities were different leadership roles from high school. I thought I might be penalized because 1) they are high school activities that is taking up a lot of my room in the application 2) are from the same organization

Since they are diff roles, I don't think you will be penalized. That said, I don't understand what you mean when you say they are taking up lots of room in your app. I thought you have a max character/word cap for each activity?

It maximum n=26 activities for NAQ section, I am thinking of writing 3 things from the same organization that I think is sufficiently different. However, the thing is I am worried whether UBC will think of them to be different. The organization is Junior Achievement, and in 3 years I was a VP for 3 differnt things (finance, production, HR) that I can write about. So... I guess I will just write them since I have nothing else to add...

Where do you plan on writing about all 3? There are only 3 leadership activities you can list, and I wouldn't recommend filling all of them with high school activities.

For example, don't expect too many/if any points from something done in grade 9 unless it was truly extraordinary.

Archived