Premed 101 Forums

Worth Applying

Hi Everyone,

I'm debating whether its worth applying to NOSM. I have never lived in a rural community (GTA all my life) but have had a few rural experiences and honestly would consider living/practicing in a rural community in the future. The main reason I'm even considering applying is because having finished my Master's NOSM adds 0.2 to your gpa which is a big boost. I also have a lot of diverse activities on my ABS and so its really just the rural component lacking. But I figure with those to sections making up 2/3 of their assessment then if I can show some motivation for rural practice then I may have a shot at an interview. What do others think, worth the time?

Check out this thread, similar discussion -

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64617

With that said, I did meet someone at NOSM's interview this year who claimed they had a solely urban-centric background. Of course, it seems rare for non-northern / non-rural applicants to get interviews, but not unheard of.

Yeah thanks, I found that thread just after posting my question. Not sure if its worth all the work since I have a bit of rural experience but nothing close to a years worth. Likely not worth the effort considering how few seats they have. Thanks!

Yeah thanks, I found that thread just after posting my question. Not sure if its worth all the work since I have a bit of rural experience but nothing close to a years worth. Likely not worth the effort considering how few seats they have. Thanks!

Ya, the stats can certainly be daunting. Even for rural / non-northern applicants, only 3 of the 64 seats were taken by this group for the 2013 class. You never know though, with a strong GPA and excellent extra-curricular record / essays, getting an interview certainly could be a possibility.

Just wondering, did you finish you Masters this year? Hopefully Queens, Toronto, or UBC will come through for you this year Gizmo. I think you got extremely unlucky with the Queens bit this year. I would definitely reapply there as it really seems luck of the draw for who scores your sketch.

Best of luck and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will work out for you this application cycle!

Ya, the stats can certainly be daunting. Even for rural / non-northern applicants, only 3 of the 64 seats were taken by this group for the 2013 class. You never know though, with a strong GPA and excellent extra-curricular record / essays, getting an interview certainly could be a possibility.

Just wondering, did you finish you Masters this year? Hopefully Queens, Toronto, or UBC will come through for you this year Gizmo. I think you got extremely unlucky with the Queens bit this year. I would definitely reapply there as it really seems luck of the draw for who scores your sketch.

Best of luck and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will work out for you this application cycle!

Thanks so much for your post, it certainly made my evening! I did finish this year, back in December. Unfortunately from my experience it seems that there is quite a bit of luck involved in the application cycle these days. And thanks so much for the positive vibes, I really hope it does work out this year, not sure how much longer I can handle going through the application cycle, its exhausting and torturous!

Archived