Premed 101 Forums

Question about the first few weeks of medical school

Hi!

I've been on the waitlist and I received THE CALL this very morning.

Yay!!

However, I'm a full-time pharmacist and it would be downright irresponsible if I were to stop practicing before I can find a replacement. Actually, the manager is on holiday and I am the acting manager till next week to make things worse.

All I know is Aug 26 is the orientation day... which I know I will skip. However, I am not sure about any other classes.

I will be going to school tomorrow to find out more, but I was wondering if there's any med students who can give me some pointers as to... which class are "skippable" and which ones aren't... just for the first couple weeks.

I can either choose 9AM-5PM / 10AM-6PM / 1PM-9PM shifts.

Thanks in advance!!!

The first week is all orientation, and some of the stuff is mandatory. Med school is like high school in that it is very clicky and after the first week you are going to feel like an outsider if you aren't there. The first block is "intro block" and if you have any knowledge in biological sciences you could skip the whole thing. Lectures are webcast so you can watch them later, however there are some mandatory lectures in there as well that you won't be able to miss. Rather, you can only miss so many and need excused absence forms or else face the wrath of the UME office. In short, I wouldn't skip much the first week, but after that, the next 5 weeks are highly skippable for the most part.

Hi!

I've been on the waitlist and I received THE CALL this very morning.

Yay!!

However, I'm a full-time pharmacist and it would be downright irresponsible if I were to stop practicing before I can find a replacement. Actually, the manager is on holiday and I am the acting manager till next week to make things worse.

All I know is Aug 26 is the orientation day... which I know I will skip. However, I am not sure about any other classes.

I will be going to school tomorrow to find out more, but I was wondering if there's any med students who can give me some pointers as to... which class are "skippable" and which ones aren't... just for the first couple weeks.

I can either choose 9AM-5PM / 10AM-6PM / 1PM-9PM shifts.

Thanks in advance!!!

The first week is all orientation, and some of the stuff is mandatory. Med school is like high school in that it is very clicky and after the first week you are going to feel like an outsider if you aren't there. The first block is "intro block" and if you have any knowledge in biological sciences you could skip the whole thing. Lectures are webcast so you can watch them later, however there are some mandatory lectures in there as well that you won't be able to miss. Rather, you can only miss so many and need excused absence forms or else face the wrath of the UME office. In short, I wouldn't skip much the first week, but after that, the next 5 weeks are highly skippable for the most part.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Much appreciated! I will definitely try to make to most classes as possible.

Congrats!

Have you been emailed the orientation schedule yet? If not, PM me and I'll email it to you. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are all listed as mandatory, but there may be a way to schedule around stuff.

See you at orientation :)

Congrats!

Have you been emailed the orientation schedule yet? If not, PM me and I'll email it to you. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are all listed as mandatory, but there may be a way to schedule around stuff.

See you at orientation :)

Thanks a lot! I've PMed.

Thanks everybody! Just FYI, the deadline for my confirmation was on Aug 22 and I was not the only one offered a spot on Aug 20, so there could be some spots opening up soon.

Archived