Premed 101 Forums

Which US school to apply to, if any

jessiem

Hi,

I have recently begun to explore the idea of attending a US medical school, and I have been looking at the course requirements for various US schools. However, I have been very surprised at how different the courses are from Canadian schools.

Are there any schools that I should look at considering I have not taken physics in University, I have a half-year course in Organic Chemistry + Lab, a half year course in General Chemistry + Lab, full year Calculus, two full year Biology courses + Labs, a full year in Biochemistry, and no English courses? I have taken humanities courses however that required writing essays, etc. and I have heard that some schools will accept those instead of English?

Thank you to anyone who can give me an answer!

Hi,

I have recently begun to explore the idea of attending a US medical school, and I have been looking at the course requirements for various US schools. However, I have been very surprised at how different the courses are from Canadian schools.

Are there any schools that I should look at considering I have not taken physics in University, I have a half-year course in Organic Chemistry + Lab, a half year course in General Chemistry + Lab, full year Calculus, two full year Biology courses + Labs, a full year in Biochemistry, and no English courses? I have taken humanities courses however that required writing essays, etc. and I have heard that some schools will accept those instead of English?

Thank you to anyone who can give me an answer!

MSU does not require physics. If you are going to be finishing the prereqs this year you might be okay, especially if you have a high science GPA.

It's also late to apply, you apps wouldn't be verified until October, so complete maybe late October, early November. MSU sends out acceptances September so no point

It is pretty late, and we don't know OP's MCAT score. With an amazing MCAT score anything is possible. Also, just checked MSU thread at SDN and they have not even sent out invites yet. Probably some acceptances in Sept. but certainly not all of them.

They will be sending out most OOP acceptances in September. I'm sure some people who are also competitive for MD would decline their acceptance later - but there is a lot of Canadian interest for MSU. A late application will put the OP at a huge disadvantage, regardless of MCAT.

And MSU does not interview, they do outright acceptances.

They will be sending out most OOP acceptances in September. I'm sure some people who are also competitive for MD would decline their acceptance later - but there is a lot of Canadian interest for MSU. A late application will put the OP at a huge disadvantage, regardless of MCAT.

And MSU does not interview, they do outright acceptances.

I think you are talking about the osteopathic school. I am talking about the College of Human Medicine (CHM). Both at the same uni and take preclinicals together. That explains the confusion.

Archived