Premed 101 Forums

ABS questions

1) The OMSAS booklet states that specific details for ABS are not required for McMaster and Western (pg 9). Does this mean that these two schools will still look at the description / title of the activities?

2) I have done choir since age 4 and then every year and during the summer from age 8 to 18. However, I have sung with 4 different choirs in the years listed above. Should I group all of them under "alto singer in choir" or should I just discuss the one choir in which I spent the most time and took on the most leadership role? I am asking because I really want to demonstrate my continued interest in and passion for choral music.

3) Should we list activities that begin in September 2013? I will begin a new research course and also a service learning internship in Sept so they are technically before the application date of Oct 1. On the other hand I would not have done much since the activities are just beginning...

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate your wisdom and experience :)

1. Mac requires the sketch but doesn't require verifiers.

Western does not look at your sketch at all.

Mac looks at your sketch only after interviews and will most likely read it fully.

2. You could be general about it but I would get a verifier who could attest to all of the choirs.

3. Personally I wouldn't but I don't think it would help or hurt your app

Thanks for the prompt reply, LabGopher! :)

Another question is should we name the organizations that we are working with in the ABS description? Organization names tend take up characters and sometime do not reflect the purpose of the organization or what its members are working towards. For example, let's say L'Arche is a relatively unknown organization, so instead of saying “activity lead for L’Arche residents,” would it be more clear to say “activity lead for special needs residents”?

I guess this wouldn't apply for more of the commonly known student groups / societal organizations with short names such as MSF, the real L'Arche etc

Thanks for the prompt reply, LabGopher! :)

Another question is should we name the organizations that we are working with in the ABS description? Organization names tend take up characters and sometime do not reflect the purpose of the organization or what its members are working towards. For example, let's say L'Arche is a relatively unknown organization, so instead of saying “activity lead for L’Arche residents,” would it be more clear to say “activity lead for special needs residents”?

I guess this wouldn't apply for more of the commonly known student groups / societal organizations with short names such as MSF, the real L'Arche etc

To clarify, I think your asking which is a better title? Personally I wouldn't put a vague generic title. Worst case they just read the responsibilities and figure out themselves. Best case they Google it and lightly research it spending more time on your app and become more invested in it.

You get description and responsibilities to put stuff. Generalizing from the above.

description: Support Worker at L'Arche

Responsibilities: activity lead for special needs residents

1. Mac requires the sketch but doesn't require verifiers.

Mac looks at your sketch only after interviews and will most likely read it fully.

So OMSAS says that "Applicants to McMaster are not required to provide verifiers or additional details for the autobiographical sketch."

For applying just to Mac it seems I don't need to fill in the 'additional details' part? It feels really weird not filling it in.

So OMSAS says that "Applicants to McMaster are not required to provide verifiers or additional details for the autobiographical sketch."

For applying just to Mac it seems I don't need to fill in the 'additional details' part? It feels really weird not filling it in.

I think its used more for statistical validation of casper/mmi rather than actual admission as they only look at it after creating the post interview rank order list. Cant hurt to fill it out and down the road if your applying to other ontario schools it will have saved you a bunch of time with your future app.

Archived