Premed 101 Forums

questions about the employment and extracurricular sections

I was just wondering if someone could help me out with a couple of things, there doesn't seem to be too much information on their website.

Firstly, is there a time limit on the activities we can put down? Should I put a job I had when I was 16?

Second, what is the best way to list extracurriculars such as sports? For example I have played soccer in many leagues and different teams, so what would I put as the organization name?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think you should err on the side of being over-inclusive. I put down activities that I did in highschool so I would imagine it being ok. With sports, I put down different leagues as different entries. However, I only played in 2 leagues over the final 8 years of my career. I would try to separate the leagues and teams based on the level you played them at.

Firstly, is there a time limit on the activities we can put down? Should I put a job I had when I was 16?

I don't recall a specific time limit, but I think the general consensus on med applications is that, assuming you're applying for entry directly out of a Bachelors, you should stick to stuff you did and accomplished during your college years. If you are an older applicant, you would want to focus on even more recent achievements. Otherwise, barring something truly unique, special, and amazing, you might be going back a bit too far.

One exception to this recommendation would be if you had some involvement in an activity/pursuit in high school, and then continued in a more advanced leadership role in college. In this case, it shows growth and long term involvement and by all means should be included. The other might be some sort of huge scholarship or recognition of some kind.

Complete aside: When I applied, we could only a dozen or so activities/ECs. Its been a while, and the application form is a bit hazy in my memory now, but I think you do need to be selective in what you choose to include. The employment section may have allowed a bit more room, but Im not really sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived