Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad Research

Futur3

If I was to do a work-study for research (during the school year). Would this be considered research (even if I do not publish)? Also, howmany hours would I be looking at per week, and would they allow me to work weekends? How are the hours for non-work-study research?

I'd appreciate any insight since I'm unfamiliar with the research scene.

If I was to do a work-study for research (during the school year). Would this be considered research (even if I do not publish)? Also, howmany hours would I be looking at per week, and would they allow me to work weekends? How are the hours for non-work-study research?

I'd appreciate any insight since I'm unfamiliar with the research scene.

It doesn't really matter if it 'counts' as research. What matters is what you do/learn from it. Most work-study positions are pretty competitive and harder to get if you have zero experience (they have to teach you before they get their money's worth..). If it is work-study, it's a job. They'll tell you how much and when to work.

If you volunteer for research, it depends on completely you... You can do 2 hrs or 20 hrs, but you sure won't learn anything with 2hrs/week. If you want to do anything productive and worth-while, MINIMUM 6-8 hrs/week IMO.

If I was to volunteer 6hrs/wk per se, would I still be able to publish? When med schools consider research, what are they necessarily looking for, the skills of research, or amount of research published? I just want to do it to learn and see whether I like it or not, but at the same time I don't want to completely waste my time.

They look at both. It would be a bonus to have publications but you most likely won't get it as an undergrad. 6hrs/week is minimum for the supervisor to let you learn something other than dish-washing. Even a full summer of 40hrs/week won't get you publication. It is just all luck...

They look at both. It would be a bonus to have publications but you most likely won't get it as an undergrad. 6hrs/week is minimum for the supervisor to let you learn something other than dish-washing. Even a full summer of 40hrs/week won't get you publication. It is just all luck...
I don't know, it really depends on what area you're researching in. In the early-goings, yea, you'll need to be putting in the hours to learn what you're doing. But once you're good at it, depending on the project, your adviser might set you up on a small side project that only takes 3-4 hours per week to do. There is no "minimum amount of time" that you need to spend in the lab to publish. It's largely dependent on luck, and how generous your adviser is.

how do you even get a research position? i applied for at least 30 jobs (not just labs either..) in the workstudy job listing and got one interview from a lab that makes you clean test tubes :(

Would you pay someone who has zero experience in the lab? They would have to pay you while they teach you. How much of a waste is that. Start by volunteering.

You can ask a prof who teaches one of your classes who does research you are interested in. If you have done well in the class and have provided good insight in lectures, and least they will see that you have some aptitude to be a good research student. I did this, and did not ever need to volunteer since I applied for NSERC USRA funding. Any prof is happy to have you in your lab if you bring money in with you. However this is only an option for summertime research.

• 2 weeks later...

Research apprenticeships with faculty mentors give talented, motivated University of Delaware undergraduates a chance to see and take part in what is happening on the front lines of discovery at UD today. Every UD college, department and research center provides opportunities for interested students to get their hands on the source of learning. Approximately 1000 students participate each year. Explore the many challenging options you have for bringing learning to life.

make money modeling

Archived