Premed 101 Forums

Family Medicine-Practice in urban areas possible?

LittleDaisy

Hello everyone,

I have heard that after completing the program of 2 years of family medicine, the residents are often obliged to work in the regions , because there is only few spots opening in the urban area (at least in the province of Québec).

Does this reality apply in the rest of Canada as well?

Thank you for your responses, it is greatly appreciated :)

This is only true in Quebec as far as I know... Colleagues who have moved to Ontario, for example, have had no problem starting their practice in Toronto, Ottawa, etc.

Also, in Quebec, while it is true that there are limited PREM's for new doctors in urban areas, you are not REQUIRED to go rural.

Since I see you are from Laval, you probably have heard mostly about Quebec city which for whatever reason is a "region a pratique restreint"... In other words, NO new doctors (for the time being) can practice in Quebec city... this is not the case in Montreal.

Thank you Justletmein' :)

So if one does his residency in Montreal in family medicine, he or she is not obliged to practice rural right after residency?

What about the rest of Canada?

This is only true in Quebec as far as I know... Colleagues who have moved to Ontario, for example, have had no problem starting their practice in Toronto, Ottawa, etc.

Also, in Quebec, while it is true that there are limited PREM's for new doctors in urban areas, you are not REQUIRED to go rural.

Since I see you are from Laval, you probably have heard mostly about Quebec city which for whatever reason is a "region a pratique restreint"... In other words, NO new doctors (for the time being) can practice in Quebec city... this is not the case in Montreal.

Thank you Justletmein' :)

So if one does his residency in Montreal in family medicine, he or she is not obliged to practice rural right after residency?

What about the rest of Canada?

Nobody is "obliged" to practice rural.

The government of Quebec encourages it strongly by offering premiums to work in rural areas and by limiting the number of permits for new doctors in urban areas.

When you finish your residency in family medicine, you need to obtain a PREM. If you are able to get that PREM in your location of choice, then lucky you! Otherwise, you can work your first year in another region or you can do a year of "depannage"... After that first year, you can pretty well transfer to any region you want (except quebec city lol)

If you do not respect the PREM system, you forfeit 30% of your billings.

Nobody is "obliged" to practice rural.

The government of Quebec encourages it strongly by offering premiums to work in rural areas and by limiting the number of permits for new doctors in urban areas.

When you finish your residency in family medicine, you need to obtain a PREM. If you are able to get that PREM in your location of choice, then lucky you! Otherwise, you can work your first year in another region or you can do a year of "depannage"... After that first year, you can pretty well transfer to any region you want (except quebec city lol)

If you do not respect the PREM system, you forfeit 30% of your billings.

Hence why Quebec has such trouble recruiting

Could someone please explain the PREM system?

Is there a system like PREM in the rest of Canada? For exemple, in Ontario or in B.C?

Thanks a bundle:)

You can read about the prem system here: http://www.msss.gouv.qc.ca/sujets/organisation/medecine/prem/index.php?prem_en_omnipratique

Basically, the government tries to ensure equal access to family docs for all Quebecers by dictating how many they need in each region...

In other provinces I dont think it exists..

Archived