Premed 101 Forums

Real MCAT vs AAMC

BlessedSoul

How much tougher is the real MCAT than the AAMC's? I keep hearing that it's because there's more physics and calculation based, verbal longer, and biology is more molecular biology and genetics than physiology...is this true? And what do they mean by molecular biology (im not a biology major), do they mean transcription vs translation? Also were there alot of experiment based passages on your MCAT?

Thank-you I would appreciate this, i'm starting to freak out after hearing this on SDN and my MCAT is in a few days! :(

Each test is probably a bit different and may or may not hit your strengths. My 7/26 test was very conceptual and required less calculations. Verbal was probably broken down into more paragraphs, but I found it very straightforward compared to some of the practice tests (no killer passages, all passages very easy to read).

BS is like AAMC 10 and 11, its all about understanding experimental data and applying new information, almost a quasi-verbal reasoning sections. Less factual information is required compared to early AAMC tests. Unfortunately, orgo pops up, I had 3 passages + discretes.

Pretty much what viseguy said - really variable exams so you should try to be comfy with everything.

For example, a friend of mine wrote on the 22nd and apparently saw three optics-related passage on his. I spent the entire month of August doing nothing but physics and my test 4 days ago had 6 Gen chem psgs and 1 physics. And, even on the same day, some others had a very calculation-heavy exam with more physics than mine.

It's been said here before that most people are thrown off by testing conditions (diff. ones for diff people) and they think the passages are longer when they aren't in verbal. My experience would cause me to agree. In fact, the font changed on one of my passages and became smaller. LOL. That was trippy. VR questions have a similar feel to the AAMCs. Just focus on keeping the pace you've already perfected and you should be fine. Also, my VR had no killer passages as well (odd?).

At best, BS is like AAMC 10 - nice and friendly with a conceptual focus. At worst it's got some real nasty experimental passages with multiple things going on, and unidentified cell types in 8 x 10 tables describing a phueckton of experimental conditions. Yes, they (there may be multiple) are worse than AAMC 11's ebola passage.

When it happens, either keep calm, move on and come back to it later ORR close your eyes and breathe for 30 secs and take the time afterward to map it out SUPERQUICKLY with a flowchart or something. It wasn't until I got home 6 hours after my test and mapped out the two nasty passages from it from memory that I really understood what was going on (On the real deal I freaked out and contemplated voiding - this won't help. LOL).

You're gonna rock it! No sweat. May the curve be ever in your favour.

Archived